Sunday, March 17, 2024

Tipp City ~

 

Tipp City is a vibrant, upscale little community in SW Ohio near Dayton.  Dayton is the home of Orville and Wilbur Wright and the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.  This is the second time I have attended a 2 day hooking event hosted by Ali Strebel, Jo Wick, Jenny Smallridge and Chrisi Koehl.  This little get-away did not disappoint.  The above mentioned hookers each have a hooking business and offer the most wonderful goods.  One could easily go broke there!

Ali is set to teach at the Crooked River Rug Hooking Guild in June.  I had absolutely no intention of signing up.  Our hooking styles are at the total opposite ends of the spectrum.  I use wool.  I pull loops.  The end.  Ali, on the other hand . . . uses wool, pulls loops AND adds needle felting, couching, quillies, sari ribbon and other alternative fibers.  I am sure there is more 😁  So while Ali was giving her little talk she showed this little "memory" mat.

I thought, "Hey, I can do that and change the date to something meaningful for me!".  So the wheels started turning.  While perusing her patterns, I came across this little one which I like even better.  It is only 15" x 12" and should be doable in a 3 day class.  I purchased the pattern as my incentive to really sign up.


A couple more of Ali's creations.  She loves quillies . . . wool strips rolled in to circles or manipulated in to other shapes.  I, on the other hand, do not enjoy making them so much . . . but they are fun on hooked and appliqued pieces.



Here is my rug progress.  Of course I did not get done what I was hoping to, but I should have known better.  The circles were all hooked and I just did that little bit of background.


Hooker friends are the best.  Deb, a hooker and fantastic appliquer/stitcher who I met last time in Tipp City, gifted me this wool carrot.  It fits perfectly in to the bed spring.


Travel mate Val made these sweet little owls and was giving them away.


Travel mate #2, Linda, shared this gorgeous !!! blue hand dyed linen with me.


Snow was falling from the sky here in northern Ohio earlier today, but thankfully not sticking.  Shouldn't it be green?

Happy St. Patty's Day 💚💚💚
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

7 comments:

Saundra said...

I saved a photo of your Askew that someone posted on FB and think it is awesome. I've often thought of dyeing some linen but unless I've a plan I wouldn't know which color to dye it. But as a great gift I'd definitely figure out the plan. Looking forward to whatever you do next.

acorn hollow said...

I would love to take an Ali class lucky you.
Hooker friends give the best gifts don't they?
sound like a good time except for the snow.
Cathy

NMK said...

Sounds like a Wonderful Hooking class ! Love Ali's memory matt and the pattern you bought !! All the sweet gifts your friends gave you are awesome !!! Hooking Friends are the Best aren't they !!!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

I've always loved Ali's "style" and love quillies but have never attempted one. That sheep pillow is amazing! Great gifts too. So....whatcha got planned for that beautiful linen? Snow here too in Nod. ~Robin~

marly said...

Love the little date mat, the one you chose to start, the one you are working on, that carrot, and OMG that owl!! Had to view twice.

Jo said...

So glad you made the trip to Tipp! Always a great weekend and we appreciate all the support from our friends! Hope you can join us again in the fall!!

Prims By The Water said...

What wonderful friends. I will need to remember to make some owls for the store this year. Glad you had fun. We went by the Wright Air Force Base once down there. Janice