Sunday, March 10, 2024

Floor Frame ~

~ For you non-hookers, 
I will probably be speaking Greek to you 😁 ~

In all my years hooking, I have always used a lap frame.  6-8 years ago I purchased a floor frame.  It was an inexpensive one found on eBay.  I tried it and hated it.  It did not hold my linen taut and it being octagonal in shape, the work area was very small.  (It was not the more pricey octagonal frame many hookers rave about.)  I eventually sold it and never tried another floor frame, although I know there are great ones out there.  My Snapdragon frame has me spoiled.  I really need to see about getting it put on a stand.  Anywho . . . I digress. 

A couple years ago a local hooker asked if I would like an Ault floor frame or if I knew anyone who could use one.  I can't say no to any free hooking supplies.  This person was no longer hooking and had taken the frame to Goodwill and they would not accept it.  She was told they did not need any more furniture.  She tried in vain to explain it was not a piece of furniture, but it fell on deaf ears.  I am thrilled to have been her second choice.  The frame sat in my attic until last week.  I knew this rug I am working on was going to get quite heavy, so decided to take the frame for a "test hook".  It is a learning curve but I am doing ok.  The work area is so much larger than I am used to (about 14" x 22" vs 10 1/2" x 13") and since I only hook in one direction, sometimes my arms just aren't long enough.  It doesn't keep the linen as taut as my Snapdragon, but I am making it work.

I have hooked 21 of the 45 circles but have not yet started on any background.  That will be very mindless and the perfect thing to work on when I head to a two day hooking getaway a few hours away with friends.

I know some of you (Robin) hate the time change, but I, for one love it, except for losing an hour sleep when springing ahead.  This year, I guess I didn't lose an hour because I slept in 😅  Here it is, 7:30 and it is just now dark.  

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

5 comments:

Saundra said...

My arms aren't quite long enough for my Acadian frame either. Inside hooking area of that is 13.5 x 20. And my Snapdragon has me spoiled too. For now the floor frame will work but perhaps your smart DSO could figure out a way to turn your Snapdragon into a whirling dervish. Am sure your circles rug will be a beauty as all of your other rugs are.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

I have an octagonal frame and like it. Is the snapdragon
worth the $$$$ ? Maybe you reviewed that in an old
post. I love the simplicity of the geometric and your
colours are looking so nice. Lucky you to have a hooking
weekend with friends too!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Everyone I know who has a Snapdragon seems to be spoiled by them. I think one of the frames Cathy hooks on is a Snapdragon but she has a ginormous frame she likes working on because she works on so many ginormous rugs - not sure if that is the Snapdragon or not. I should have had a bigger frame when doing the Beast as the weight of it pulled it out of shape. For most of my hooking life I just hooked on a little Puritan frame that was attached to a wood frame my neighbor made. About 2 years ago, I splurged on a Needlework octagonal frame and I really like it. Your circles are looking great. It must be kinda fun choosing the wool for each. Comfy hooking nook you have. ~Robin~ (And, you're right...I still despise the time change. For me, it's losing an hour of sleep every.stinking.single.day.)

Prims By The Water said...

I was given a floor frame and to be honest I do not even know where I put it now. Am sure you will get use to it and will love it. I already love the colors you are using. I too am with Robin. Wish we did not have to do this time change thing. Not fun when I get up at 5 for work and now even earlier in my brain. Janice

Abigale Huels said...

"Your blog isn't just informative; it's also incredibly thought-provoking. I appreciate how you challenge readers to think critically and its implications."
how to fold a shirt for travel