Sunday, August 6, 2023

If You Looked Up UGLY ~

 ~ in the dictionary, you would find a picture of my kitchen!!!

When I purchased my house nearly 24 years ago, the absolute first thing I was going to do was remodel the kitchen.  Obviously that never happened.  My kitchen is tiny (a real estate ad from 1946 that was left with the house, stated that the house had a "modern kitchen with a divided sink"😁) .  The divided sink is still there but in no way is it modern.  The stove is HUGE.  Probably from the 60's.  

No dishwasher.  No way to change the footprint, either.  So for years nothing was done.  The green vinyl linoleum does not match the green plastic tiles on the walls.  Creamy/yellow plastic tiles cover the ceiling.  The backsplash is yellow ceramic tile.  There is no adjective I can think of to describe the counters except butt ugly.


The only things in the kitchen I like are the antiques.  (Originally there was a small Formica table with metal hairpin legs attached to the wall.)   That cupboard sitting on the floor fits the spot like it was made for it.  I opted not to add cupboards and counter space in place of the antique.  I am not sure if the hanging cupboard will return there.

Tomorrow this is all going to start to change.  I am excited and terrified at the same time.  I have never gone through such a major remodel.  Even though cupboards are limited, it has taken me forever to empty them.  Not only did I find all those useless wine glasses, I bet half the cupboards were filled with stuff not used in many, many years . . . if ever.  Plus, I do not handle chaos well 😟.  

My "kitchen" in the dining room.  The basics.  Twizzlers, cookies and breakfast bars.  I am a dietician's worst nightmare.

For such a small kitchen, how can I have so much stuff?  A couple things have been added since this picture was taken . . . and there is an entire table loaded with more crap stuff in the basement.


Thankfully the person doing the remodel (Bruce) does everything and only works on one job at a time.  (He is semi-retired.)  He custom makes everything.  He did my brother's remodel a few years ago so I know he is good, reputable and reliable.

But wait . . . there is more.  I have a full bath off the kitchen.  Shower stall (no tub).  Since there is no bedroom on the main living level, the shower has been used very few times.  Wasted space.  Bruce is going to gut the room and change it to a half bath/laundry area.  I don't have an issue with doing laundry in the basement but felt it was a good idea . . . just in case . . . or for resale in the distant future.

Stay tuned!

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

14 comments:

NMK said...

Oh Wow !!! Can't wait to see the transformation !!! You will probably
say , Why did I wait so long to do this !!! Will be Wonderful !!!

marly said...

Most important - you have a person who will show up and you've seen his work. More than half the battle! So exciting, hope to see the plans and watch it come to life.

The Happy Whisk said...

To me, this is wildly exciting. And I love that you've seen Bruce's work and that he does one job at a time. Very, very cool. Bonus on the laundry space. So useful for sure. Cheers, Ivy.

Saundra said...

Now this is something I'm excited about also. Can't wait to see the progress. So where will you be doing your crafting stuff now since your other rooms are filled with stuff?

Saundra said...

OH, there's nothing like having all that stuff removed from cabinets to thwart the idea of checking out antique shops, eh?

TheCrankyCrow said...

SOOOO exciting! Scary as hell, I know...but EXCITING! I'm sure you will love it when all is said in done. How lucky to have a trusted craftsperson "on the job." I can't find anyone to even do a simple (?), but majorly important, repair....(among many, many, other projects large and small). Do ya think Bruce might be willing to travel?? I have a spare bedroom with an en suite bath...and will happily cook and bake for him. ~Robin~ (Love the antique cupboard! That will look so cool in your new kitchen.)

Saundra said...

I'll be interested to know what Bruce says about travelling to Robin's place too. UH, by any chance that wouldn't be my ex would it, HAR HAR HAR!!!!
Just a joke for anyone reading who doesn't know we three.

Prims By The Water said...

How wonderful you will be getting a new kitchen! The antique cupboard is a keeper. Cannot wait to see the finished look and how wonderful to know the job will be left in good hands. Janice

acorn hollow said...

Oh how wonderful!! I hate having things all over and this bathroom reno of ours is taking to long. Can't wait to see your new kitchen
Cathy

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you, your kitchen needs a major update. If you do not handle chaos well you're in for a very stressful few months. Have fun!!!!

JustGail said...

How exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I hope you don't find too many "oh sh..!"s or "what the he..?"s when things get taken apart.
As it is now, each surface on its own is not bad, but the combination is a bit much. I hope you get the kitchen that's in your mind when it's done.

Julia said...

I was here late last night and just didn't have time to leave a comment before going to bed. First of all, I love the arch feature over the kitchen window. Your kitchen may be a bit outdated but it looks just fine to me. I know that you'll love the newly renovated kitchen. I can't wait to see the renovation.

You'll love not having to run downstairs to do the laundry, you'll see.

Thanks for sharing your world with us.
Hugs,
Julia

Farm Girl said...

So I know, I don't live there. But I like your kitchen. My grandparents house was built Pre World War 1 I think, and it had that same kind of kitchen. Its so unique. My rule of thumb though, ever single time I have redone my kitchen we have moved. Every single time! I am sure its going to be the cutest kitchen ever when its finished. Kitchens are hard though.
I don't do well with chaos either.
I am so excited to see how it goes along. I love that cabinet. I might not have remodeled either because of it.

Sweet Sue said...

Hi Lauren, I've mostly been on Insta so it's been a while since I visited - hope you're well. You're fortunate to have www and social media to help you make good decisions for your reno. Everything sounds wonderful, esp your contractor and new footprint, you'll love laundry on 1st floor, no more lugging detergent around. Have fun! Try the Wallaby's Australian licorice, no middle hole, great flavors, very tender, you might like it better than Twizzlers (Amazon/Dollar Tree/In-store), we sure do!