Saturday, August 12, 2023

Cricut Stupid ~

As I have said before, I am pretty much Cricut stupid and don't take the time to figure things out.  I am more visual and prefer to be shown.  Well . . . I had the bright idea to make some canvas hook pouches (purchased on Amazon) for a new vending item.  A while back I bought some heat transfer vinyl at Michaels and decided I could/would do this.  Our local libraries have Cricut machines and staff to help you.  My first attempt came out great.  

Front

Back

I came home to print out sayings (happy hooker, primitive hooker, wool whore, etc) because I have fonts I liked better than the free ones I could find at the library.  I had to buy more vinyl and Michaels no longer had the brand I used, so purchased a different brand.  ARGH!!!  It did not work out as planned.  I spent a considerable amount of time printing them out (after making a few stupid mistakes like not printing them as a mirror image).  So I head back to the library to use the heat press.  That did not go well . . . at all.  Instruction said use a temp 270*-290* for 15-30 seconds.  Nope.  Did not transfer.  Thankfully only ruined one pouch.

So tried upping the temp and the time in the press.  After repeated tries still did not work and the staffer at the library helping me had no solution.  So after a few wasted hours headed back to Michaels to return the vinyl (thankfully they did refund my $$) and buy a different brand of vinyl.  Today I spent time reprinting everything and tomorrow will head back to the library to try again!!!  Will keep you posted 😁

On a sad note, the Rebekah L. Smith tribute show that I have spent months making things for has just been cancelled.  Hopefully I can find another avenue to sell all the things I have made.

And finally, on a happy note, yesterday and today we have gotten rain.  Real rain.  I think I see my grass doing a happy dance.  I guess we won't have "August brown" grass in the near future.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

11 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry to read it got canned.

Saundra said...

I have no idea at all what cricut does, haven't seen it demonstrated and don't want to learn, lol. Therefore I'm no help to you. Must say the two successful ones look cool!
Sorry for the cancellation but another option would be to start a FB selling page with a cool name which will attract us hookers and stitchers with a habit.

marly said...

I am totally clueless about the cricut and the vinyl. And I didn't know about libraries offering anything but books! Yes it's been a long time. Sorry about the show, why was it cancelled?

Jennie in GA said...

I am amazed that your library has a circuit machine….but, then, it has been so long since I’ve been in a library, what do I know. And I certainly wouldn’t have known to do mirror image but it totally makes sense. Hope the rest of your pouches come out as well as the first. Too bad about the RS show. Couldn’t you take those things to Sauder?? We have had small bursts of storms the last few days, so, like you, we will have green for a bit longer. Take care!!

Kay Harmon said...

Could you do a blog post and sell them here? I love the things I have seen and bet others feel the same.

NMK said...

Oh how frustrating the Circut thing turned out to be ...such a cute idea , hope you can figure it out . Try searching U Tube ...they have just about anything you want to know and show you how to do things .
Sorry about your show being cancelled ....FB hooking pages might be a good idea ? Us Hookers would Love those great pieces you have made !!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, bummer. I'm Cricut clueless. I bought one for my son's fiancée last Christmas and, initially, she used it quite a bit (I think?) I didn't realize there was a separate heat press?? Eek. Sorry about the show... Cathy, I think, was thinking you were going to Sauder but now I recall that you said you weren't? Ugh, I miss my mind. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

Ugg how frustrating!! My daughter does the Crichton she just mad Barbie shirts for them when the went to the movie.
I would love to see what you have for sale
Cathy

Julia said...

I too am totally clueless about Cicut. I know one of my friends has one and she makes the most amazing cards with it. It looks like on to a nice craft. Don't give up. Try, try again till you got it pat and teen but your own heat press. Your pouches look amazing.
Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Oh no, so sorry the show was cancelled. I know how you feel about the transfers. I made mistakes with mine before when transferring to fabric. Its horribly a pain at times. Janice

JustGail said...

As with machine embroidery, Cricut is something I hope I remain not interested in doing. People make some really nice things (like your pouch) and make it look so easy. Then I think about the costs of supplies, the learning curve, and the storage of supplies. It's better I admire and buy what others make! Sorry your efforts with the new vinyl didn't work, but good that you got the money back. Also bummer on the show cancellation. I hope something else comes along to sell things.

We've been limping along on .1" to .25" of rain occasionally for weeks now. The rain that does move through seems to fizzle out before they get here or go around us. I'd love a few days of nice *slow* soaking rains that add up to a couple of inches.