Sunday, December 4, 2022

Easy Peasy Wool Garland ~

I first saw a wool garland made like this about 10 years ago at hooker Deb's house but was not inspired to make one until hooker Melissa had made some.  A bit time consuming to make, but so darn easy and no need to be exact!  Use leftover snippets, worms or cut new strips.  Wool that is too thick or thin works just fine.  No need to color plan.  It is all random.  These are mostly a 9 cut strip.  You can use larger or smaller strips or a combination.


I cut my pieces about 3/4".  Like I said, no need to be exact.  You can cut them with scissors, or for faster cutting, lay them on a cutting mat and use a rotary cutter.



I would suggest using a strong thread such as a button or silamide thread.  You would hate for the thread to break after stringing.  This is the thread I use.


Tie a knot, button or bell at the end and start stringing.


I love how it looks on my tree.


My star tree topper is another super easy thing to make.  I drew a simple star and then got a leftover piece of coverlet.  I painted the backside with Mod Podge to stiffen it a little, let it dry and then cut out the star shape.  Done in a jiffy.


The garland actually takes longer than I anticipated and surprisingly uses quite a bit of wool, but it is such a no brainer and a great way to use leftover worms.  The hardest part is cutting all those darn little pieces.  Tomorrow we are off to visit friends, so the 4 hours spent in the car will be used to string more garland.  Thanks for the inspiration, Melissa.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

9 comments:

Saundra said...

Sweet tree trimmings. I love that thread and use it with my rugs and other stitching needs.

Sue Swank said...

That turned out really cute. Safe travels.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Lauren you are so creative and yes your tree looks gorgeous with these creations !

Julia said...

I love your garland and star. Very creative and a great way to use up your wool pieces.

Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Great use of worms! I will need to find more coverlet pieces to copy you star idea, Love it! Janice

NMK said...

I Love your garland ! I bought one last year at a craft fair ...the gal used all white wool & in between every 8" or so she put a red rolled piece to look like cranberry ! It is really long & was only about $12.00 ! Idiots delight to go thru all that work for that price , but it is so cute !!! Have to look for that kind of thread !
Your coverlet star is Wonderful !!!

WoolenSails said...

Love this idea, I have a wool tree that it would be perfect for, and lots of scraps.

Debbie

susan hemann said...

I love it! Not sure I would have the patience

Woolwoman said...

Hi Lauren, been away from reading blogs for WAY too long. I spend way too much time on FB.
Still hooking a little, not as much as I would like. Nice to catch up with your beautiful christmas decorating. Glad you are well and still busy busy. Hope you continue to enjoy the season. Hugs Mel