Saturday, December 17, 2022

Year of the Klutz!

I have suddenly turned in to such a klutz!  I know every time I go to the doctor they ask if I have fallen.  This has not been a good year.  I like to blame it on inattention and not my age!!!  In June I tripped over the extended dog leash and did a face plant to the hardwood floor.  That involved a trip to urgent care and having my head glued shut.  In September, heading to the garage I was watching the squirrel in the driveway and missed the bottom step.  Another trip to the urgent care and then follow-up at the orthopedic doctor.  Fractured fibula and in a "boot" for six weeks.  In November while raking leaves, I somehow fell off the curb and smacked my left knee in the road.  Let's just say it was painful but getting better, when suddenly about a week ago the pain was intense and bending it became an issue.  Another trip to an ortho doctor yesterday.  After several x-rays, the pain was not diagnosed as an injury to the knee, but having aggravated the arthritis I didn't even know I had.  (Based on heredity, that is not the least bit surprising.  My mom's knees were horrible and my older brother is having serious issues.)  The cortisone shot was like a miracle cure.  Early evening I removed the brace I was given and was amazed that the pain was gone and the flexibility back.  Now I don't have to go down the steps one at a time like an elderly person, which I know I am considered 😝  I am also scheduled for therapy, but am hoping it is not necessary.  I know this is not a permanent fix, but it is most welcome.

Counted cross stitch was my first love, but I got away from it in the early 90's.  In about the last 10 years I have stitched a little bit.  Well, I decided to stitch small Santa as a Christmas gift.  I grabbed a piece of decades old  26 count linen.  This is HUGE by today's linen standards.  Back in the day this was the most primitive linen I found.  Let me tell you, it is giving me fits.  I am frogging more than I am stitching.  I am just having a heck of a time counting the threads properly and am constantly one thread off.  It is time to use the Ott light with magnifier if I have any hopes of getting this project done in the next few days.  I use the stab method to stitch, so I am slow to begin with.  My hook?  It hasn't seen the light of day in weeks.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs😊
Lauren

11 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Oh Lauren so glad it helped. I shoved this morning right now I am so sore and heading for motrin. In my defense it was very heavy wet snow. This aging thing is not fun
Cathy

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Have you also had your eyes and balance checked recently? Hope it stops 👏

Saundra said...

I have bad knees, shoulders, back, hip...all arthritis. So I'm in constant pain and know the reason is age. My balance is off too and the scoliosis throws off my walk which is a culprit for the balance issue as well. But at least we are this side of the dirt, lol.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Three more pieces of evidence of our twin-ness: Bad knees and a family history of it; arthritis (and a family history of that as well); and being a total klutz. 😳 Glad the cortisone helped....but, yes, it's temporary. And, yes, PT is a PITA. Your stitching looks wonderful! (Welcome back...) What design is that? Are you stitching over 1 or over 2? Hook? What's a hook? ~et~

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Ugh, My mom always said “getting old is not for sissy’s.” Mom was right! I have struggled with hip/leg pain since March. Finally bit the bullet and went to the doctor to learn the source of pain was from a pinched nerve in my tailbone. Several sessions later, I am improved but cautiously guarded as I do not want the pain to return. And yes, I do walk down stairs like an old person: I hate it! Your stitching looks great, you are being much to critical of yourself.

NMK said...

Oh my goodness you have had a lot of bumps this year ....getting Old Sucks !!! We used to laugh at my Mother & call her a Weeble , well I am following in her foot steps and am not happy about it !!! Aches & pains & arthritis here too !
I give you a lot of credit to pick up cross stitch ....after miss counting so many threads & struggling to see , I put it all away & never will attempt it again !
Hooking is much more Fun !!!

marly said...

Doesn't sound like age, sounds like distraction. But then, being unaware of surroundings, staring at squirrels, lacking focus or attention .... yeah, it might be age. LOL!! I hope there are no trips in 2023, to your body or urgent care!

I've had that linen issue with low counts a few times, no explanation. I picture a tic tac toe diagram and stab in the corners, that helps.

Prims By The Water said...

Well am hoping the new year will be better for you. I have not cross stitched in years either. Loving your Santa thus far. Hope you show the finished piece. Janice

WoolenSails said...

And I thought I was bad at falling, lol. I had severe pain in my knee once, good therapist and it was better in a week, just tight tendons, I seem to get more of that too. Hope you feel better and no more falls this year. The cross stitch looks like it is going to be a beautiful piece, sometimes I get tempted, but I have way too many things to do and finish.

Debbie

Julia said...

Welcome to old people syndrome. lol. I'm glad you are still in one piece. When you have fallen enough times, you'll learn to be more careful but there's no garantee.
That's why I go downstairs one step at a time and I walk like an old lady.

I love cross stitch but haven't done any in years. I like what you got done so far.

Stay safe, hugs.
Julia

denise said...

It seems like you just can't catch a break.🤣