Saturday, January 6, 2024

Two Finishes and a Start ~

1890 Roosters is finally bound though it still needs a final steaming and a label.  That little rug took way too long, but I am happy with the way it turned out.  It was so hard to hook in that scrappy style . . . but I love it.  Once again, thanks to Saundra for the pattern.  You can find that one ~ and many more ~ here.

I decided to do a little freebie cross stitch Marly (Samplers & Santas) had shown.  The link to the chart by the Primitive Hare can be found here on her blog.  It was such an easy stitch until I had to stitch with the white floss.  I did way too much frogging because I just couldn't count the threads properly.  Didn't have that problem with the darker colors.  There is still one error I did not correct but I am quite certain no one will find it, but I KNOW IT IS THERE.  Ugh.  Stitched on a scrap of 30 or 32 count linen, the finished size is 3 7/8 x 3 1/4.  Unlike Marly who fully finishes her cross stitch, mine will end up in a shoebox with other cross stitch that is not totally finished. 

Last night I decided to start Nancy Agness McGlaughlin, a reproduction sampler I found in a 1988 Traditional American Crafts book.   The chart did not list DMC floss number, just "blue" and "tan".  After stitching for almost 2 hours I decided I did not like the blue I chose so frogged all of that.  (Can you relate, Marly?)  Maybe tonight I can try blue #2.  I am a slow stitcher (still use the stab method) so this will be an ongoing project for quite some time.

And to Saundra . . . No.  I have not started a new hooking project 😢

Christmas is almost down and hauled to the attic.  I need help with the big tree.  Every time I think I have found everything, another tree surfaces.  Thursday my Fitbit went crazy and said I did 159 floors.  Now I know that is not true, but I am sure I did at least 50.  Thankfully it is a walk up attic!!!  

Let the re-decorating begin.  Then maybe, just maybe, I will have time to get something on my frame.

For my grammar nazi friends, I leave you with this.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

12 comments:

Saundra said...

Have not fear because I haven't finished the sheep nor have I drawn out my next pattern either.
No way I'd ever be starting a counted cross stitch as I'd go blind and holding something as thin as a sewing needle would cramp my hands. Can't use a pencil hook either, I prefer the ball Hartman. Plus, even if I had been able to locate the one un-frogged spot I'd certainly not mention it as you'd go pull them out then for sure.
The grammar pic was funny and so many incorrect words/spellings.
Maybe Fitbit counted wrong on the steps but you certainly did get your workout.
Great work on the antique adaptation!

acorn hollow said...

Your roosters are wonderful! I could not stitch my eyes could not take it.
I took a lot of the Christmas down today but there is still more.
We are in line for 4 to 6 inches of snow so I will have plenty of time tomorrow
Cathy

NMK said...

Love your Roosters ....
I can't do cross stitch , I tried to do some using a scrap of the linen we use to hook on ...I thought , great , I can see those holes ! I used pearl cotton and still struggled ....Counting , OMG , I kept counting over & over & over ....that got put in a basket for one of those "Smart Days " !!!! Good grief !!!
If I had a FitBit , I would swear at it just like I do to Alexa !
Back to pulling some loops !

Maureen said...

LOL I love your grammar police meme!!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

I have yet to finish up my not-so-simple Simple Santa. What the heck. Just totally lacking any and all motivation. The little Christmas I had up is still up...along with the little Halloween I had up. What a mess I've become. Love the Yule deer. As I said when I saw Marly's finish, I have that somewhere in my stash...and another very similar one by the Primitive Hare that is actually stitched but in my "shoebox." I think I didn't like the linen I stitched it on so it may remain exiled there forever and ever. Amen. Haven't stitched much either...just nothing making me happy these days I guess. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Well I started a rug Saundra drew out for me. I also started 4 other cross stitch projects and still trying to finish up my Valentine goodies for the store. Your roosters look proud. As for Christmas, I ran out of bins....Bob took them to move the gift shop stuff, so now I am at a standstill taking things down here. Janice

JustGail said...

The roosters and deer look good. Error?! I see nothing...Nothing!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

you're killing me with your past photo for grammar nazis.
what a hilarious write up!
love your rug finish :)

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

*last photo, sorry.

Julia said...

You are sure a busy retired girl. Your little cross stitch is really sweet. Your roosters are strutting their stuff. Good job on those. That would have been a nightmare for me.

I ended the old year a slacker and I'm beginning the new year a slacker. I hope that I find my mojo. It's not the first time I lost it. It must be hiding in those dust bunnies, lol.
Take care and enjoy what you're doing.
Hugs,
Julia

WoolenSails said...

That rug came out beautifully, such a wonderful antique look. I do love cross stitch pieces and get tempted to do a few again, yours is perfect for the holidays.

Debbie

marly said...

This is a reminder of how I screw up rock 'n roll lyrics. Embarrassing. Even more embarrassing is my nephew's son not finding anything wrong with that grammar lesson. Congrats on those rockin' roosters. Cool dudes with attitude.