Thursday, January 18, 2024

Frittering the Day Away ~

I have no idea where my days go.  I am busy all the time but feel I am accomplishing nothing.  I haven't started a real rug project but have been working on little hooked hearts.  I had hooked and stuffed quite a few hearts for a show where I was to vend last October ~ then it was cancelled.  I listed some for sale on Facebook and sold a few.  Then I got a couple orders so had to work on them.  Not something I really want to do, but the $$ will definitely come in handy for May's rug camp in WV.  Here are a few of them.



These were extra large bedsprings.


Here are a few I just finished hooking.  One was for an order but I didn't want to waste linen so hooked a couple extra.


I have also been wasting spending time grubbying some battery candles.  Easy but I make a mess doing it.  I made one yesterday with some cheap white Dollar Tree glue.  That didn't work because the glue easily chipped off so I removed it all and started over.  I used Elmer's without problem.  They were each done at a different time with a slightly different grubby mixture so that's why they don't all look alike.


Damn deer!  As I have said I live in the city but with woods nearby.  This one was only a few feet from the house munching away.  There were 3 in the yard.  The other day in the open field 2 houses down from me there were 9 of them, not the least bit fazed when my granddog and I were nearby.


I've also done a little more rust dyeing to use in junk journals . . . now I just need to figure out what do do with them 😁

A piece of paper that was not quite dry and tore when removing from pan.


I love the rusty keys on the left.


Coffee filters.


Leftover rug hooking linen.

And my favorite.  The lace was already coffee dyed.  I don't know why sometimes the color is just rusty . . . but sometimes it is a grey blueish color.

Our bitter cold temperatures have eased up, but now the weather guessers are predicting 4" - 8" of snow tonight.  The way they are acting one would think it never snows in northern Ohio . . . sigh.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

10 comments:

Saundra said...

Have no idea what or how to make 'battery candles'. How many more pages will your 'junk journal' have and what are you planning to do with it when finished?

Saundra said...

OH! Forgot to say you certainly do wonderful hooked hearts!!!!

NMK said...

Love all your pretty hooked hearts ....but you did a super great job with your candles ! They are so expensive to buy already done . Love yours ! Your fabric dyed with rusty things looks like a fun project to do , great for journals.
Keep warm & toasty !

Julia said...

Are you planning on using your rusty samples in your Junk journal? I try very hard to avoid rust stains in my laundry and use a water softener to avoid stains, and you on the other hand love rust stains. I don't mind an overall pattern of rust like a mottled pattern for rug hooking.

Now you know how I feel about deers who invade our yard. We had 11 last year and they ate my Hostas, Asian lilies, Plox, Tulips, Crocus, sweet potatoes, and anything that was not protected by an electric fence. We have spotted a pair of Cayotes in the backyard so we may see fewer deers this spring, who knows. I think the deers are learning from humans. Minority groups are encroaching on majority groups. lol...

It's cold tonight but we are expecting s warmer trend coming up. It's been an easy winter for us so far.
Take care and stay well hugs.
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

I can definitely relate to that feeling of being busy all the time but getting nothing accomplished...except in my case it's actually true. You, GT, are DEFINITELY accomplishing stuff. The grungy candles look great...you're a quick study. And, of course I love your beautiful hearts. I tried to hook the past couple of days...isn't going too well. Perhaps I've forgotten how. Those Ohio deer look mighty well fed compared to the ones here in Nod. Yikes. Hope you don't get all that snow....I know how you love it...not. We are under another severe wind chill advisory. Seems they lift for 1/2 a day and are slapped right back on. It is supposed to warm up some next week. Fingers crossed. I'm sure if it does, it will mean snow though too because, well, that's the way things work in Nod. ~Robin~

WoolenSails said...

I know that feeling, always busy but nothing gets done, lol. I like how you did the candles. I saw some I liked, but the prices were ridiculous. The hearts are wonderful and a great way to make something people would like. I do have a spring, guess I need to make something for it.

Debbie

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Every day I ask myself “where has the day gone?” I am always busy but don’t have much productivity to show. Don’t get me started on the damn deer, I live less than two miles from the airport and can often see 3-6 deer in my back yard. What they don’t eat, they destroy. Ahhhhhh

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

always chasing my tail, it seems...but look at all you have accomplished!
beautiful hearts <3 ~
your rust dyeing is gorgeous, and especially that lace!
:)

Prims By The Water said...

My mom has deer every day in her yard in her small town, but she likes seeing them. Your hearts are so beautiful. I should have hooked some to sell this year in our store. Oh well, always next year. Good luck at the flea market. Hope you find some good stuff to take home. Janice

marly said...

Visited a friend yesterday with 18 deer in her yard. They plan on getting the Enforcer motion detectors like we have. Checking to see if they now have motion activated sound blasts without the water. They run as soon as they hear the noise of Enforcer turning on before the water even squirts them. Stay warm!!