Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Crying Uncle ~

Nancy Agness is going in to a permanent time out.  I started her once again and I am happy with the blue chosen (DMC 926).  The problem is after getting this little bit done (thankfully not more) . . . 


. . . I looked at the picture of the antique.   Whoever reproduced the sampler took way too much "poetic license" in charting it and removed all the quirky charm of 10 year old Nancy Agness' sampler.  The chart is much to perfect. 


I though I could chart it back to the original, but the quality of my photo does not allow for that.  

Here is row #2 of the sampler.  I have circled the most glaring changes in that row, but liberties were taken throughout the entire sampler.

If I decide I must stitch something, I will find something I will be happy stitching.  I would never be happy with this one.

It took a week ~ argh ~ but Christmas has been totally put away and the house redecorated.  I am happy to have that done so hopefully will get something on my frame sooner rather than later.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

6 comments:

Saundra said...

There's no way I'd do a counted cross stich, particularly a sampler. I know you are a purist and want it to have the same charm as the original. Guess it's more complicated than starting the N more to the left so there could be a space further in on that row? That coming from someone who has NEVER done a counted cross stitch.

Prims By The Water said...

Maybe a darker blue would work, but I agree me thinks that blue is not the right choice. I am planning on doing a Quaker sampler and am using a weeks dye works blue because the whole sampler is in blue. I would et bored if it was just one color, so I figured the variegation will look nice. Time will see. Janice

marly said...

Many times I have taken the wonky original, and changed it to be more symmetrical just as this one is charted. I adore this sampler and once again, wonder why I got rid of this book! But there are many online. I would be happy to adapt the chart to the antique for you, doesn't look too complicated. Depending on the photo, it should be very close!

NMK said...

That is too bad , it was changed from the original pattern ....

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hmmmm.... I definitely see what you're saying...and I do love the quirkiness of old schoolgirl samplers with their errors and asymmetry, etc. but sometimes the OCD in me wins out. Case in point is the Grace Bridges sampler I'm doing as a stitch along. There was just "too much" for me to deal with and I spent way too long making things a little more "normal" than I should have. (I did, however, actually impressed myself with some challenging mathematical computations in doing so.) But the difference there is that it is NOT a reproduction sampler (that I know of)...it is just made to look like one....and I had the feeling that the attempts to make it look quirky and old were a bit too obvious. I think you should take Marly up on her offer. ~Robin~

Julia said...

I like that subtle blue color. I've never worked on a sampler and know nothing about what an antique sampler should look like but I guess, the charm is in the practice pieces of young girls just learning the craft. I'm sure she got better with each new sampler.

I'm like Robin, I like things to look even. I've only worked on three cross-stitch projects in my life. It's been so long since I cross-stitched.

Our snow turned to rain and it's melting. It's been a mild for January.

Take care, hugs.
Julia