Friday, November 17, 2023

Purging ~ Yet Still Purchasing

After cleaning out the kitchen and bathroom for my renovations, I purged LOTS of stuff.  To friends, a neighbor and several trips to the thrift store.  Today I took three bags of clothes to a local church that has a monthly "almost free" clothing sale.  I am not a fashionista and generally wear the same clothes all the time.  Give me a pair of jeans and a turtleneck and I am a happy camper.  I had so many clothes I hated to get rid of, but I hadn't worn them in years so probably wouldn't start now.  

My downfall, however, is an antique store.  There is an antique mall a half hour from me going out of business and most items are 50% off.  Yesterday I made my second trip there and came home with these goodies.  I am a sucker for holiday decorations!

When I met Sue of Vernon Junction at the junk journaling class on Saturday, she gave me an early Christmas gift.  What a fun blow mold Santa, stamped Empire 1968.  Thank you, Sue.  You know me well 💕

Speaking of holiday decorations, here is a fun, simple thing to make.  Seriously, it takes just a minute.  Whenever I see an old oil can for a few bucks, I pick it up.  This is the first time I have done anything with one . . . and have no idea where all the others are 😁  Thread a wire in to the hole in the spout, loop the end and voila . . . a primitive ornament hanger.  Since this can is a little bigger, it could use an ornament that is bigger, but I was not about to rummage through Christmas boxes.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

8 comments:

Saundra said...

I have some clothes that are so old they are in fashion again, lol. Problem is I can't fit into them as once I was a skinny fit thing. I need to go full force purge but when I see something which sticks in my face that needs to go I put it in the box. So should get really serious SOON.

marly said...

I hear you about the clothes. When I was "young", there were no tall sizes for thin gals, and very very little in larger sizes. My sleeves were always short, pants above the ankles, waistlines were high, I hated being tall (still do) and had no clothes that didn't make it obvious. So when I got tops on sale + coupons that were in tall years ago, I would keep buying every color (same top!). I can't get rid of them. And at 40# heavier, can't wear them. Donated a carload, but some have to stay.

Oh how I miss my local mall stores and the large flea market and antique shops.

acorn hollow said...

I have started to go through my Christmas things and weed those out. Great finds at the antique store
Cathy

Julia said...

I've given a lot of clothes away that I no longer wear, to the Salvation Army Thrift Store but I kept a gown I wore in Scotland at my daughter's wedding even though I no longer wear it. It still fits me. I usually wear out my clothes to bare threads in the yard and gardens. Once I'm done with them, they are not suitable for donation to charity. lol...

Take care, hugs.
Julia

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

after holiday purging will commence...I have too much that I don't need/want any longer.
LOVE your tin can ornament holder!!!!

NMK said...

An antique shop closing !!! Oh No !!! What great Santas you found ! And special gift you received !!!
I have never seen an oil can like that , it is so cute and Love the Charlie Brown look with the ornament hanging from it !!!

NMK said...

PS ....a friend saw the cute necklace I bought from you last year , I wore it today when I met a few hooking friends. She would Love one ....do you have any ? It was the neat old metal heart with 2 charms hanging from it .

Prims By The Water said...

Loved your antique haul. What antique store is going out of business? So sad if due to the economy. Janice