Sunday, November 26, 2023

I'd Rather Mow than Blow ~



Thanksgiving is over already.  Anymore, it seems like the forgotten holiday.  Last evening my son departed for Las Vegas.  Even though he is 44 (how did that happen?) saying good-bye is always hard.  He was home for a week.  I can't remember the last time he was home for that long.  Thankfully both his flights were on schedule!  Now the madness begins, but as always, it is self inflicted.  

I have a big, crazy maple tree in my yard.  The leaves just kind of turn brown (no pretty fall color in all the years I have lived here) but many hang on until the middle of December  😖.  I find it easier and quicker to mow rather than use the leaf blower or to rake them.  Yesterday it was 39* and by the time I went out the sun had already retreated behind the clouds, so with a heavy winter coat, gloves and scarf, I mowed.  For the most part, I enjoy mowing ~ but not at the end of November!

The sun makes the leaves look yellow,
but they are just brown!

I finally got the simple curtain made for the remodeled half bath/laundry room.  Years ago I sewed - some clothes, kids' Halloween costumes, simple curtains.  You'd think I never sewed with how I procrastinated making this curtain.  I had a hard time finding fabric to my liking.  This is okay, not really what I had in mind, but it will do.  It's a little busier than I envisioned.

One HUGE lesson I learned is that cotton does not tear like wool does.  I bought a yard of fabric and needed slightly less.  I thought I would just tear off the excess which I did.  Then when making the rod pocket casing one side of the curtain was longer than the other.  It took me a while to realize this is how it tore.


ARGH!!!  I had to skimp a little on the top to make the curtain long enough.  

Yesterday I went to a kind of artsy farsty holiday craft show.  A couple things that cracked me up.  

Need a dog treat?


And these I didn't quite "get", but each to her own.  This booth had hundreds of burlap looking bags in two sizes with lights inside, stamped with just about anything imaginable.


Time to empty a few boxes . . . actually more than a few.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

8 comments:

Sue Swank said...

Do you decorate for each season?? You must have lots of storage space and totes. I'm not sure I'm even putting up the tree this year. I'll do other decorations though. Your house always looks so cute and cozy.

marly said...

That happens a lot. I rip because it tears on the grain. But most times the print is off kilter to that straight edge.

NMK said...

Oh too bad about your nice fabric ....frustrating
Those darn burlap bags probably sold like Hot Cakes too !!! UGH
We have lots of huge Oak trees , some of their leaves stay on until spring ...my husband mows them too , but also uses a heavy duty blower , it's a lot of work ! We are getting too old for this !!!

Saundra said...

Lucky you to only have one tree dropping leaves. I've a forest to contend with and have blown leaves, raked leaves and spent 3 days this week alone taking wheelbarrow's full into the back woods and filling in low spots in the back yard.

Prims By The Water said...

We mulch our leaves with the mower. Your curtains look nice. Glad you had some quality time with your son. Bob's niece flew in from Florid and her flight back was cancelled twice. Janice

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Raked leaves for three hours the day after Thanksgiving, adding a huge pile to my compost bin. Leaves are still falling and it seems there are twice as many to rake now.

Julia said...

Those Bison testicle dog treats cracked me up. I've seen many odd dog treats but none quite like those. lol... I guess the lighted burlap bag is for those who like to linger in the bathroom a little too long. Hahaha. To each its own, like they say.

I'm so glad that you had a whole week with your son and his significant other.
Your little curtain looks lovely. The colors are the same as my heavy drapery in the living room but a different pattern. I find that they never cut fabric straight at the fabric store.

I used to rake leaves but now I mow my leaves too to put back organic matter in my lawn. I did that last week or was it the week before. I can't keep track of time.

Take care and stay warm. It's so cold. I have two wood stoves going in the house.

Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

Yikes just where does one get bison testicle?
Glad you had a nice visit with your son.
We have oak everywhere and this year they are not giving up their leaves like usual.
I love your curtains I am not friends with my sewing machine
Cathy