Friday, January 6, 2023

Floss Chaos ~

In the 80's, I was a huge counted cross stitch aficionada.  It was rare I stitched on anything other than a sampler.  My floss was all nice and organized.

Fast forward to the rare time I have stitched in the last 10 years or so.  (I also used DMC floss for what little punch needle embroidery I would do.)  I would check to see if I had the floss wound on one of these cards, but other than that, I had skeins of floss everywhere.  Total disorganization.  Many different baggies in different locations, so rather than search for the color I needed, it was easier to run to Michaels and purchase new.  So of course I have MANY duplicates.  Kind of like when I hook and it being easier to cut new wool rather than search through my worms . . . sigh.  So here is the mess trying to sort them by color number.  Oh, and I also have dozens of floss colors wound on wooden bobbins from punch needle projects, some marked with the color number, some not.  Not sure what I am going to do with those.  I am sure this is nothing compared to a "real" cross stitcher's stash of DMC (if they still use it rather than specialty threads).


I purchased this antique 2 drawer chest at least 5-6 years ago and always thought it would be perfect for  floss storage.


DSO recently made me the most wonderful dividers . . . he made a frame to that it so that it fits in the drawer but can be removed in the future without damage to the drawer.  (He's pretty handy to have around 😁.)  Now at least the floss is organized by color number.

I'm sure "real" cross stitchers have much better ways to store their floss, but this will work for me!

This cracked me up!  English has to be such a hard language to master.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

8 comments:

Saundra said...

I also have a lot of floss ~ some is wound like yours and in order and have a lot still in skeins in plastic storage drawers. I also used to do stitchery but not cross stitch. When I used to do needle punch that's what I used as well instead of buying the more expensive popular brand. You're lucky to have a great S O at least I know some men are good for something LOL.

NMK said...

I have an old pie basket my threads are in ....not neat & tidy at all !!!
The little dresser you have is pretty & great your DSO made that box with dividers ! A perfect idea to organize threads !!!
What a funny antique card !!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Can I borrow DSO for a while?? Ok, ok...NM! I LOVE that amazing chest...you really find the best stuff. And what a perfect solution. I signed my comment in your last post "Stupid in Nod"...now I have to confess I am REALLY stupid in Nod. Seeing your floss on bobbins?? I thought I was high tech because I had preprinted number labels...until I looked at yours and realized I have for, 5 decades, stored my floss bobbins wrong. I put mine so the label is on the side. Uh duh. I could have saved myself how much frustration and time over those 5 decades by storing them with the number tab up so I could actually SEE the number??! Gah. Guess it's true what the Lake Creep said: You don't have to be smart to be a lawyer. 😶 ~et~

Prims By The Water said...

DSO is a life saver for you! I have one of those plastic floss organizers in pink. It is not very full anymore, and when I purchase floss now, I throw it in an antique box. LOL Wish I had a cabinet like yours, because when I need to get a color I have to search through them all. Bob is not confident yet working on his saw, or I might ask him to make me some dividers like yours. Makes sense. Janice

Julia said...

I did cross stitch in the past and I purchased a plastic container especially to hold these little floss bobbins but unfortunately, it just sits on a shelf in the closet, not being used, but the numbers are all up, lol... Your DSO is very handy indeed. What a sweet little chest of drawers and it's nice that the divider is removable.

Hugs,
Julia

WoolenSails said...

I still have a box with spools in it and a few boxes of floss, some a mess and some in a divider box, by colors. I use it for punch and stitchery now. The organizers he made are perfect for that box.

Debbie

JustGail said...

I was perfectly happy with my single skeins of DMC wound on bobbins in plastic cases. Then a few estate sales, EGA garage sales, and LNS closings made my stash explode. Now I have such a mess and mix of bobbins, skeins, spools, balls, and yes - loose bits of who knows what brand or color. It's in a mix of DMC store cubes, plastic drawers, and Mom's & Grandma's basket & tin.

My bobbins are stored on the sides so color is visible. Because - pretty! And I'd never seen them stored on the ends. IIRC, the first storage box I got showed the bobbins on the sides.

I *really* like your little chest and WooHoo! to your DSO for the dividers. They look like original to the chest. Way to go on getting it all organized so nicely!

marly said...

Oh that drawer chest. OH!! And the samplers in the background and the baby tree and the santas ....

I so love your home and style.