Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Happy Fall, Y'all ~

 


Welcome Fall???  I am loving our current weather, but I just don't like what will be coming soon.  A light winter coat and gloves are now the morning attire for my walk.

I always receive comments on the antique postcards.  I do not own them.  They are on a CD I bought many years ago on eBay, but I enjoying posting them for all the holidays.

Today I thought I would give you a quick "how-to" do the edge on Scaredy Cat.


First I trimmed the linen to 1 1/4" and zig sagged to prevent fraying.  (I do not have a serger.)  Next time I would trim the linen to 1".  Fold the linen to the front and press.


I tore a strip of wool to cover the exposed linen.  The strip needs to be wide enough to cover both the front and the back.  Position the wool on the front as close to the loops as possible to avoid seeing the linen.  I pinned in place but you could also baste it down to avoid pin pricks.  


I used one strand of #12 Valdani floss I happened to have.  You could also use DMC or any other floss in your stash.  The four sides are done individually.


The back is not pretty, but oh, well.


I hope I haven't missed any of the steps.  Very easy.  Please don't hesitate to ask if my directions aren't clear as mud.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

10 comments:

LSalamy said...

Love that edge, Lauren. Thanks!

Sue Swank said...

Turned out so cute. Thank you for showing how to do it.

Saundra said...

It does look like a cool way to finish a small piece. Would have done that for Jack's Crow if I'd thought of it but have already started binding with cotton binding tape.

acorn hollow said...

Happy fall! You didn't sew the strip of wool down before the Xs?
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Very cool! Thanks for the tutorial...looks like a relatively quick and painless finish. Do you miter anything at the corners?? (You're just taunting me with Scaredy Cat, aren't ya???) ~Robin~ (PS....I thought I was the only one who doesn't own a serger LOL)

marly said...

Very good instructions I think. I don't look good from the back either.

Julia said...

A great edge finish. Thanks for sharing the technique, Lauren. Your Piece is beautiful.
Hugs, Julia

moosecraft said...

Thank you! I will use this edging on my next little mat! :-)

Prims By The Water said...

Great tutorial! Another great rug. Janice

WoolenSails said...

I love how the border looks on the rug, nice idea for wall rugs.

Debbie