Thursday, December 28, 2023

It Shouldn't be this Difficult ~

 

This rug was started at a hook in late in October.  The pattern is about 18" x 30" and should not have taken so long to hook!  You would think this is the first rug I ever hooked the way I struggled.  The background was challenging for me, but it was the rooster combs and heads that gave me fits.  They were each hooked a few times.  I also changed the color of the beaks.  Last night I decided to call it done, but upon throwing the rug on the floor I decided left rooster's head was too flat.

Now can I call it finished?  I hope when it is bound I can capture the colors better.   

Thanks, Saundra for gifting me the pattern.  Now to figure out what to hook next.  I can always drag out a UFO 😁

Our weather has been incredible.  Christmas Day it was nearly 60* and sunny a good part of the day.  No complaints from me.  My son and his girlfriend had to get the bikes out and go for a ride!  Here they are at Lakeview Park in Lorain.

Today I noticed plants peaking from the ground.  This is way too early.


Spotted dead nettle trying to bloom.



Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

8 comments:

Saundra said...

Damn woman, am proud of you! Your roosters look great and you even decided to hook the blotchy background which looks just like the antique. At least you got yours done before 2024.

acorn hollow said...

It looks great!!! We have been warm but not that warm it is rainy and dreary here.
I am on my way to Dorr Mill tomorrow lol "I promise to not spend more than my gift certificate" lol we shall see!
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your rooster rug turned out fantastic! 3 months to hook? I'd say that would be lightening speed for me. My not-so-simple Simple Santa, which is not nearly as large as your roosters, is going on year 2 and is still not complete. We've been unseasonably mild here as well and there is no snow. That's a first for as long as I can remember. However, I am sure we will make up for it in spades in the months to come. And the dampness is sometimes worse than when it is below 0 I swear. ~Robin~

Julia said...

Your rug looks fantastic, Lauren. I love those colors. I started hooking the faces on my rug but with the funeral of my brother-in-law and Christmas, and looking after my husband, I didn't accomplish much. Now I'm working on the company books again.

It's been mild here too but nothing is peeking out of the ground yet. The river is still open.

Take care, hugs.
Julia

marly said...

Always wondered what that plant was. Your birds are great, cool folk art birds. I get the rumblings of questioning our projects until we are happy with the result, even when others think it's great. Happy new year!!

NMK said...

No snow here at all ...it has been damp and dreary every day this week . Weeds and Johnny Jump ups are in bloom !!! Even my hydrangeas have little green leaves trying to open up !!! This weather is ridiculous ! The poor kids can't play outside ....

Love your rug , the colors are wonderful , look so nice an old !!!

Prims By The Water said...

Yeah it was almost 60 here too on Christmas day. We did have snow this morning, but quickly turned to rain. A weird December. Hope your sis is dong well. Happy New Year my friend. Janice

Farm Girl said...

Happy New Year Lauren,
I hope your year is totally awesome.
I am finally well, and wrote a blog so maybe I can keep it up.
Kim