Monday, July 31, 2023

Wine Glasses ~

I am in the process of emptying my kitchen cupboards but will share more of that in another post.  

Let me start by saying . . . I do like my wine and when I have a glass, I used an antique pressed glass goblet from the mid to late 1800's.  I must have two dozen of those so I have no need for additional wine glasses.

HOWEVER . . . here is what I have found buried in the cupboards that have not seen the light of day in many, many years.

In the 1980's, Arby's produced Christmas goblets.  I haven't used them at Christmas in decades.  So why do I have 18 of them?

If memory serves me correctly, a local bank had a promotion in the mid-70's where they were giving away crystal wine glasses and goblets.  My mom being the original thrift queen, got as many as she possibly could.  Some are still in the original boxes.  So why do I have 6 wine and 8 goblets?

In addition, I counted another 16, give or take a few.  Most crystal, but some not.

I have been trying to give them away but have not yet had any takers.  They are NOT staying in my house.  

I even have a stemless wine glass made by a friend of DSO's with Molly's name etched on it.  I still miss that little stinker every single day.

I haven't yet picked up the hook but it is going to be soon.  I finished these 4 hook pouches so I think I am pretty much done trying to make things for the show this October.  I am vending at 2 hook ins next month (ARGH!  How can tomorrow be next month?) but have enough inventory for those.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

10 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

LOL on the Arb's glasses. I have some as well, but a different style. My son gave them to me for Christmas one year, You are the Amelda Marcos of wine glasses it seems. Love your pouches! Janice

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Wow, you do have a lot! Since we down sized I became well aware of what was in my cupboard but for some reason we keep acquiring mugs!!!! When the cupboard no longer shuts we send some to the thrift. Cute little pouches

Saundra said...

Once upon a time I did some cleaning of my kitchen cupboards but am sure they need another go as I no longer entertain or host family dinners. And yup could give away a few wine glasses which I've been given over the years which I don't use. The real tall stem ones I'm sure I'd accidently knock over so they must go even tho they are beautifully painted.

J. S. Vila said...

You have a very beautiful collection of decorated glasses of the 70s. In those years they did a good work.

Julia said...



I also have a lot of wine glasses as I bought a case for entertaining many years ago. I frequently had baby showers for friends when ladies used to have babies and I served the ladies a glass of wine but I no longer entertain except on rare occasions with family. Some of my glasses have gotten damaged in the dishwasher when the power went out and the glasses weren't rinsed all night so they look etched or cloudy.

I guess the dynamics of entertainment have changed as now our groups of friends usually all go to a restaurant to celebrate instead of entertaining in our homes like years ago. It's easier on the hostess.

I got rid of a whole bunch of mugs but my husband kept buying some more with cute sayings and the old ones lost their appeal, lol.
I donated all my lead Crystal glasses away to a thrift store. They were Wedding gifts and very pretty but I'm not a Fancy Crystal kind of gal. We live in a different world today.

Good luck getting rid of those glasses.
Hugs, Julia

NMK said...

Those are pretty cool glasses , I would think the Retro look would be perfect for a young person !
Your little purses are so pretty !!!

marly said...

I have a 12 place setting of china and dark green crystal goblet, wine, and compote (less one). No one wants them, no thrift shops, vintage, flea market, called them all. Can't recycle with the minimal lead content. Still looking for a caterer that uses mixed table settings for events, maybe they would take them. One more flea market to ask if anyone wants to sell them. Free. Good luck with yours!

Farm Girl said...

oh goodness Lauren,
When we moved I ran across the same thing. I got rid of most but I kept the Batman Forever very cool glasses that McDonald's was giving away in the late 80s or 90s. So I understand.
It is like a time capsule. I love all of the things you have been working on.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I feel your pain. WWR, meant a complete go-through. How that many glasses and mugs fit in my wee little cupboards is a mystery to this day. I think I had 5 or 6 sets of glasses from shower/wedding gifts, a set of McDonald's glasses, a set of Arby mugs, a set of Badger glasses and a whole menagerie of random glasses and mugs. I still have a few sets lurking somewhere and my cupboards could use a good going through again. How does that happen?? ~Robin~ (Did you say you are done making things for the show in October???? Yikes...whoever kidnapped my sissy, bring her back!)

acorn hollow said...

As you know I have been hauling boxes and boxes out of here and still I have to much. We have an animal shelter here who runs a thrift store so most of my things have gone to them a very good cause
Cathy