Saturday, July 22, 2023

Dye Class ~ UPDATED

When I have dyed wool, I have used the instructions from the Barbara Carroll/Emma Lou Lais dye book.  They have worked well for me, though I often did not get the colors I expected because I am not that exact in my measuring.  The process they use takes a couple hours.  Per instruction in the book, I soak my wool overnight or for at least several hours.  Dave, our teacher, just takes the wool to the sink and wets it being sure it is totally wet.  The dye methods we learned yesterday took minutes.  Dave doesn't use any dye recipes . . . just wings it . . . and he believes in doing things the easiest way possible.

First of all we learned to Kool Aid dye.  (Note ~ other brands of powdered drink mix were also used.)

Mason quart jars were used.  We used near boiling water and added the powdered mix.  Some were the little single bottle packets and 2-3 were put in, depending on how much color was desired. Dyeing in jars, the pieces of wool were rather small unlike when you dye in a big pot.  The pieces were maybe 4" x 18".  Nothing was measured exactly.  Add your wool and after you think you have your desired color, add a little vinegar, stir it around, and voila . . . you are done.  Take to the sink and rinse well.  I found it amazing how much color rinsed out and the wool ended up being much lighter than anticipated.  I wonder if you let it sit in with the vinegar longer more color would be absorbed.  When I use the Barbara/Emma method, I still simmer the pot for 20-30 minutes after the vinegar is added and most if not all the color is absorbed in to the wool.  The Kool Aid results tended to be brighter/more jewel toned colors than I hook with.  I have also heard that the colors tend to fade but that was not discussed and can't say whether that is true or not.  I used the same mason jar method but added some powdered acid dye and followed the same instruction.  

One thing Dave does that I do not is he always uses distilled water and not tap water.  From day to day what chemicals are in your water can change.  Well water can make a big difference, too.

I gave all my dyed pieces to Sue so hopefully she will share them over at Vernon Junction.

Sue sent me pictures of the wool.  In this picture, Sue dyed the second wool from the top.  The others I dyed in the mason jar with a teal blue acid dye.  I dyed the wool one piece at a time, but used the same dye bath several times even though vinegar had been added.

This was overdyed with a chocolate acid dye.  It had a lot of red in it.

These pieces were Kool Aid dyed with black raspberry lemonade.


All the wool drying.

Dave also touched on crockpot dyeing.  We did not try it but he said to fill the crockpot about 2/3 full and pretty much use the same method as with the mason jar dyeing.  He said that crockpot dyeing tends to produce evenly dyed pieces of wool.

Next he showed us electric fry pan dyeing.  Add maybe 1/2" of water and heat until water begins to bubble.  Add a piece of wool no larger than the size of the pan.  He had some dye that he had mixed with water and kind of put "spots" of it on the wool.  A great method for spot dyeing.  I know I will not use this method.  I don't normally use spot dyes and the pieces of wool would tend to be much too small for my liking.  I like hooking with longer worms.

I hope what I learned and shared has not been to vague.  I guess what I gleaned from the class is to experiment and have fun.  I think I will soon try the crockpot method.  I purchased a couple crockpots years ago, but have not used them.  Dave said to be sure not to use any of your items for cooking after you have used them for dyeing.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

13 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Sounds a bit like a Home Ec class gone awry. 😂 Yeah, I like long worms too. ~Robin~

Farm Girl said...

Wow, how very interesting. I have tried dyeing with kool aid, and you are right they do fade. I was thinking about dyeing outside with the heat from the sun. I haven't done it yet. I do dye my wool the way you said, I soak my wool, cook it for about a half hour then add my vinegar. They cook it until the dye is adsorbed. But like you said, I never can get the colors I want nor the same colors every time.
It is quite a science. I got my dye for my pink and purple yesterday, so I am really interested is what you learned.
That is so cool. You wrote it out perfectly.

Julia said...

I can understand that Kool-Aid is not really meant for long-lasting results and I just didn't want to even try it. Heck, I wouldn't even drink Kool-Aid, lol...

I tend to go along with the tried and true methods and not with the fly by nights dyers. It takes patience to dye and it's worth the waiting instead of the fast method. I've done many types of techniques but they all require the setting of colors by the heat method.

Like you, I wait till the color is all absorbed and then rinse. I love to experiment with all sorts of techniques and I did the crock pot, and the Mason jars technique when I did an online class with April DeConick using 8 values. That was a lot of fun and so very easy to do. I did the painting technique in the microwave oven, the spot dyeing, and the casserole method, but I haven't done the shaving cream method yet.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Julia

NMK said...

Very interesting ....I have heard your water at home can affect your colors ...will try to remember Distilled Water ...I will tell my friends who do dye their wool if they have tried that . They go by Barb Carrols method of dying and get very nice results.

acorn hollow said...

I really want to get into more dying. I have tried the kool-ade like you not my colors. The distilled water is the best idea. I am on well water and that makes a huge difference.
Great class I think we all tent to be just a bit afraid of dying, wool is so expensive
Cathy

Saundra said...

An interesting and fun read but don't think I'll be doing any Kool-Aid dyeing. That Crow woman isn't always 'cranky' as her title says, she FUNNEE.

Prims By The Water said...

I have heard of the frying pan method of dyeing before but never about kool-aid. Interesting. Not that I have time to do ny of this but loved reading about it. Janice

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

I bought an electric fry pan for dyeing from a yard sale but still haven’t tried it. I rarely dye but when I do it’s usually marrying several different colours together by leaching out the dyes already present. Karen Kahle’s method. I would not be an exact measurer either. My personality! Your pieces look fab

Barbara Nimmo said...

I found this blog post about the dye class absolutely fascinating! Learning about different dyeing techniques is such a unique and creative hobby. I've often used Walmart gift cards for various purchases, and their flexibility has been a huge advantage.
can walmart gift cards be used for gas

Jacqueline Kent said...

Every post reflects your enthusiasm for the topic at hand. Keep educating people about your insights. twinkle deals coupons

Maria Adam said...

You have a real gift for deconstructing difficult ideas. It feels like I'm learning from a knowledgable buddy when I read your blog. lowes 10 coupon generator

Timothee Lambert said...

"Your advice on career development has been invaluable to me. Your blog has been a guiding light in my professional journey."
piada student discount

Edvin Berg said...

"Your motivational quotes and self-help articles have been my daily dose of encouragement. You're a source of positivity."
How Old Is Dolores in Encanto