Monday, January 10, 2022

The Best Laid Plans ~

I had planned on accomplishing miracles today.  I was even out of bed a half hour early.  HA!  Not meant to be.  I got a phone call from my brother first thing this morning.  Most unusual.  He and his significant other left for Florida Saturday morning.  Well, guess who left all his meds home?  Important meds.  Yup!  My brother.  So being the good sister I am (lucky for him he is the brother I like 😁) I headed to his house, got the meds, came home, boxed them up and took them to the post office.  That took care of the morning and for just $46.30, he will get them tomorrow (fingers crossed).  Well worth it for him.

I finally have some finishes to share.

I have printed off this little freebie (found here) countless times, but finally got inspired seeing Jennie's finishes.  If you don't follow her blog, you really must.  She accomplishes so darn much . . . cross stitch, quilting, rug hooking, and sometimes applique!  I will add this to the finished but not fully finished pile.


This Santa pattern from Doodledog Prims about did me in.  It took forever and a day.  That face . . . argh . . . gave me fits.  First, I did not have a good color for it.  The wool I had for faces was much too pink.  Friend Melissa to the rescue.  Still, I think I rehooked it a half dozen times and even though I was sure I was hooking plenty inside the line, it was still much too big.  Then trying to do the eyes was the next challenge.  They may be a little big, but at least for now I am calling it done.


I also hooked a few more hearts with handtorn strips.  They measure about 8 1/2" x 9 1/2".  I will back them with wool and stuff them with wool snippets.  I no longer do the patchwork backs.  I am no quilter and they just took way too long.


If anyone is interested, I will be giving one away ~ winner's choice.  As always, entering is simple.  Leave a comment on this post only or send me an email with give-away in the subject line.  Please no sharing on any social media.  The winner must contact me within three days or I will choose another.  A winner will be chosen on Sunday.  (Apologies to my northern friends.  Due to shipping costs, I must limit this to US residents.)

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

20 comments:

Penny said...

Hi Lauren,
Your brother has a great sister! I’m glad you were able to get his meds out to him so quickly. I’m often worried I will do the same, and then what?
Loving your hooking and stitching! How I wish I was a fast worker! Takes me forever to finish a project. Your hooked Santa is fabulous. I think you did a great job with his face. Loving the hearts and would love to enter the giveaway. Thanks for the opportunity to win one!
Penny

Andrea said...

Love all your work. Enter me in your giveaway!

acorn hollow said...

well that is a big forget! Lucky you are close by to be able to do that for him. I love your santa.
I want to do a heart rug but no ambition to draw one
we are headed into the crazy cold weather I have got a rug ready to work on and a movie to watch.
Cathy

Farm Girl said...

You are a good sister. :) I just finished that rug, I will post some pictures of it soon. That face was hard but yours looks wonderful. Mine looks like a skeleton head.
I love that little cross stitch pattern.
Well, I hope you have a great rest of the day.

marie said...

You did your good deed for today. Expensive forget. Would love the red heart!

Saundra said...

I agree with the others that was a huge forgetful item and thank goodness you live close and have a key to his house.
Have no interest in freebie stitchery thank you, lol. But freebie rug hooking is always welcome. Wow, you finished Santa and I'm impressed so you're moving right along with 5 days to spare. Have you put away your Christmas yet tho?

Julia said...

You're a good sister. Your brother owes you a good turn.

You got a lot accomplished even if you didn't get all you had planned to do. Life little mishaps can get in the way of the best plans. Your cross-stitch looks like a very high count on linen but your Santa looks great despite your difficulties. I've only worked on count 14 Aida cloth and had difficulty seeing where to put my needle in and needed to wear magnifying lenses. I would like to make small ornaments cross stitch but somehow life's busyness got in the way and I never even got the patterns.

I've started another easy pattern crochet blanket and didn't pull even a hoop today.
Instead, I took a nice long nap and didn't even feel guilty.

Take care, hugs,
Julia


Prims By The Water said...

Jennie is an awesome crafter of things. I agree. So love your Santa rug even though you struggled with the face color. What a good sister you are. I would have done the same thing for my brother. Janice

WoolenSails said...

Love all your new pieces, beautiful work. I should do up some hearts, great way to use my scrap wool.
Glad you were able to help your brother, not something he would want to go without.

Debbie

Olde Dame Holly said...

You are a good sister to help your brother like that! But golly Moses, that was spendy to send! I love the little Santy you cross stitched. So cute! And your hooked Santy and reindeer is adorable. I like the eyes! Your hearts are gorgeous as always. I already have the heart you made out and in place of honor in my Valentine's display!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Sweet hearts! Enter me in! I have a Maine post box! I really like the way your 1849 Santa turned out. Nice! Meds are the FIRST thing I pack. I dread the thought of missing them. Shows my age

Leta said...

Good morning Lauren. I admire all the beautiful things you create. You are not only talented, but a wonderful sister! Stay happy and healthy.

Margaret T. Zenk said...

I love those hearts, always admire them when you post about them.

sandi s said...

I would love to win one of your hearts! Thank you. Hugs,

Jennie in GA said...

Well, thanks so much for the mostly undeserved compliments. You are going to make me go blog something now🤪 Your Santa turned out fine. I think he’s pretty darned cute. Just leave him alone. Lucky brother to have you do that….does he live close by??
I have so many plans for tge NY. Where does our time go??!

NMK said...

Oh my husband left his meds at home once & never , ever will do that again ! We were 5 hours away from home , luckily my husband has a friend who is a Dr , he had his prescriptions sent to CVS where we were staying & picked them up that day !
Love your Santa , but faces scare me too ....
Love your hearts , but I am making my own for my little grand daughters . Their Mommy can't stand stains , I usually can get them out , but not always . The girls love hearts , so thought that would be fun to hook out of knit fabrics, after Saundra showed us last year we can use anything to hook with !

joanm7 said...

Love seeing your posts, trying to get inspired to pick up my hook again.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well aren't you the sweet little sissie...guess you're not know at the "good twin" for nothing. He owes you big time. By the way...does Brother Dearest know you have a twin?? Both of your Santas are nothing short of perfect. Please don't look at my Santa face (even though it was much easier to hook given that it is a side view). And you know I love love love your hearts....I'd be honored to have my name thrown in you hat of generosity. I promise I will have my Christmas put away by the time it would arrive. ~et~ (PS...love the puggie poem!)

Joyce J said...

Your Santa looks great! I think we have to learn not to be so critical of our work. You are a good sister! Happy New Year!

denise said...

I love your little hesrts❤❤❤