Monday, August 9, 2021

One Man's Trash ~

 ~ is another woman's treasure 😁  The house at the other end of the block is being emptied, and this morning while walking Molly, I happened to see this bicycle in the dumpster that was sitting in the driveway.  I took Molly home and went back to retrieve the treasure.  Thankfully I was able to lift it out (it was like a half dumpster so only a few feet tall) and wheel it home, flat tires and all.  Won't it look great in the yard?


A few more pics from around the yard.  This one was taken a couple weeks ago while the lilies were in bloom.


And a few pics from today ~


My teeny tiny pond.  The little fish I bought died and so did my water plant.  Maybe I'll have better luck next year.



My son's old workboots.  First time in many years I planted them.  I used to plant hen and chicks in them, but the squirrels dug them out every time so I had given up.    


A sweet gift from a sweet friend.


I grew up on a small farm but have never planted my own veggies.  This year I decided to get 6 tomato plants.  I was so excited when I started seeing little green tomatoes and even more excited to see this.


Well . . . every darn tomato is hard and green on the inside.  Maybe they are not getting enough sun because I have to keep them inside the fence so the deer leave them alone?  Overwatering?  Underwatering?  I'm crying uncle.  My farming days are over!

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

11 comments:

Julia said...

Yay for finding and retrieving this treasure. It looks pretty old.

Your flowers always look so nice. You must get a lot of compliments.

Give time for your tomato to fully mature and they shouldn't be hard. Don't give up farming vegetables after only one try. As a farmer, I know that all we plant is at the mercy of the weather. Year after year, we have some failures and some successes.

My tomatoes are still green.

Take care, Hugs
Julia

acorn hollow said...

Lauren! Get that bike going to ride on and get a basket for the front and put Molly in it when you go biking around town. I just love it! your gardens are lovely as always and sorry I have no idea about the tomatoes. maybe light not sure.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Before I lived here in the woods where there's no decent sun for any length of time for tomatoes, I had very good luck with them. If there were a few days without rain I'd water them. That bike will be wonderful in your garden. But unlike Cathy, I'd say get a better bike with no flat tires and put a basket on it to bike around town. I enjoy my bike.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Now this is some serious eye candy...SERIOUSLY!! I love your little pond with the old pump.... I have always wanted to do something similar with my old pump, but has never happened. All your flowers and plants are drop-dead gorgeous....No small feat to keep those geraniums looking so healthy in the dog days of summer. You are a better garden mom than I. I am not a fan of tomatoes (I know, I know), but my husband liked them and so I used to plant at least one plant every year....I always chose a "Heartland" variety as they could tolerate being root bound. Never recall having an issue with them turning red but not being ripe in the center...that's just weird. Maybe pop them in a brown paper bag for a day or two after you pick them?? They sure do look purty though! ~et~

TheCrankyCrow said...

PS...Nice score on that bike!! It is PERFECT!!! I having been looking for one that I can paint black (don't ask)....I suppose if I wait a few years, my old 10-speed might be a canidate. 😳

Farm Girl said...

A very cool book!! I love your little pond. Well, I always gardening is trial and error. I think your tomato looks wonderful.
I hope you have a wonderful day.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

The bicycle was a great find, so glad you rescued it and will give it a new purpose in life. I have had an on going battle with a squirrel digging in the container terra cotta pots on my back porch. Not only does he disturb the plants he leaves behind a huge soil mess for me to clean up. Your garden looks beautiful. By this time of the year, plants here are looking tired from all the heat.

NMK said...

What a Cute Bike , will look great in your garden !!! I gave up on trying to grow tomatoes , we have lots of farm stands around & they always have good ones ! I was pulling a few weeds last week without my garden gloves on , I have Poison Sumac now on my face & arms !!!!UGH , it's soooo itchy !!!! I thought it was a weed ......

Prims By The Water said...

I did that with Bob's boots one year. Planted some sedum in them. Looks like your dumpster diving was worth it! Will make a great garden item. Janice

Sue Swank said...

I surely love your flower gardens. And the addition of a white beat up bicycle is a great addition. what a lucky find.

Jennie in GA said...

Absolutely love the bicycle and know it will look darling in your pretty yard. Always love a good “bargain”. Blake had a bumper crop of good tomatoes this year, but all of the rain caused the last of the crop to burst open. At least tge chickens loved them. Farming is certainly hit or miss.