Monday, August 16, 2021

Am I Just Cheap?

I wear a St. Peregrine medal 24/7.  The jump ring that came with it was really flimsy and the medal would occasionally fall off the chain.  (I actually lost one that way and DSO gifted me another . . . only to months later find the original.)  Anyway, I digress.  So, I finally decided to head to the local jeweler to have them replace the jump ring.  (I have jump rings, but the diameter is too large to fit on the medal.)  I asked what the charge would be and I was told "minimal" and they would also look at the clasp.  Well, I pick it up and the charge is $15.00 plus tax.  I don't call that minimal!!!  When I questioned her, she replied that she doesn't know of anyone who would have done it for less.  (Plus they never looked at the clasp!)  If that is a minimum charge, be upfront and tell the customer, but I was told the cost would be minimal.  I was NOT a happy camper and will never return to that store.  Lesson learned . . . ask what minimal really is.

I am still trying to get a few things finished for vending next week.  It is not a hook in so I hope I am not making things in vain.  I price my things less than the $100 - $125 a square foot, but I don't have much luck in selling things.  Here are a few of the finishes so far.

I did not do the patchwork back on the hand torn pumpkins like I have in the past.  I just used the same wool to bind them.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

13 comments:

Julia said...

Wow, $15.00 is a bit much to have a jump ring put in. It is made of precious metal? I would have done it for nothing. It would take less than a minute to put a jump ring on.

Saint Peregrine is the patron saint for people with cancer. I wear a Miraculous medal of the Blessed Virgin Mary and also a St Benedict medal, 24/7. I put jump rings on my medals myself on a fine gold chain and I've never taken it off except when I was getting a procedure done at the hospital because they asked that I take my jewelry off.

I wish you some great sales. You always do such nice work.

Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Good thing I won't be at your vending event (by "good" I mean good for me....too many things would be coming home with me LOL). As for the jewelry experience....hmmmmm..... I USED to replace my own jump rings, etc....back when I had better eyesight and stronger hands....but ended up taking several items to the local jeweler several months ago...things I'd broken, etc. and many were just simple jump rings...and, yeah...even in Nod, the charge was $15-20 for them... I guess I didn't think that so awful as they were put on more securely than I would have gotten them on these days (and end up buying MORE jump rings...probably the wrong size...and lucky not to lose the piece of jewelry to boot). BUT, I will say that the jeweler told me up front what it would cost and gave me the estimate in writing. Besides, even had I changed my mind at that point, I had driven 25 minutes there and would have to drive back and with the price of gas these days, I'd have wasted probably half the cost I decided to "save." I'm not Catholic so had to look up St. Peregrine...only to then see dear Julia's comment waiting. So I waste not only money but time. 😶 ~et~

marly said...

I don't take chances any more with pricing. We paid a very high price for not having it in writing. Good thing they didn't charge you $25! I take everything to my brother, OCD with every tiny tool available for fixes.

JustGail said...

The jeweler should have said right up front "around $15" instead of "minimal". And if checking clasp wasn't on the work order, especially if the person taking in the piece isn't the same one who does the work, I can see how that would be missed. And if the jump rings you had on hand didn't fit, it's entirely possible that the jeweler had to make one from scratch to fit. That price isn't bad compared to losing the medallion. Especially when it's a business with wages, rent, etc.

Saundra said...

Being a cheap person I'd probably have purchased another package of smaller jump rings and replaced it myself. It would have been less than the $15 price I'm aware of now.

Rugs and Pugs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NMK said...

Sorry about your experience at the jewelers.....all you beautiful hooking & necklaces should Sell Out !!!

Farm Girl said...

I always love to see what you have ready to take to the shows. I love your work.
Wow, that is a lot of money. I need to get my wedding ring done, going by how much that ring was, my wedding ring with be just crazy.
I hope you do really, really good selling your beautiful rugs and sunflowers.

marie said...

Jump rings retail for 20 cents or less, so the jeweler is paying less. I think $5 would of been a fair price, but if he wanted a repeat customer than he should of done it for free.

acorn hollow said...

I hope you have wonderful sales you have lovely things. I am sorry you were not happy with the jeweler It has been so long since I have had anything done I would have not clue what they charge.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Yep ask what minimal is. I was thinking $5.00 myself. I so love your sunflowers and pumpkins and hope they all sell for you. Janice

marketer said...

I’m definitely going to have to start following some of these blogs, I just recently got into reading blogs and I’m absolutely loving them so far.
concrete driveways louisvile ky thank you!

Kris said...

Thanks for sharing. Always a pleasure to read.