Monday, October 21, 2024

A Hidden Treasure ~

Lorain, the city where I have lived the last 25 years, is known as the International City.  One hundred twenty five plus years ago, many ethnic groups settled in the city to work in the steel mill.  Each ethnic group had their own church.  Sadly, about 20 years ago, the Catholic diocese closed the majority of the little churches, including the Slovenian church my mother attended her entire life.

I had heard the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Polish church (that was not closed), was absolutely beautiful, but in all the years I have lived in the area, I had never been inside.  Last month, they were having an open house that DSO and I decided to attend.  I am still in awe of what we saw.  Absolutely beautiful!!!


Main altar


Side altars



Baptismal font



Who knew?  An metal incense burner suspended from chains is known as a thurible.


Some of the stained glass windows.









 
And finally, this just made me chuckle.  



Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

No comments: