Friday, May 17, 2024

Dragonfly on the Lakes Rug Camp ~

Dragonfly on the Lakes is perhaps the longest running hooking camp in the US.  I believe it has been going on for nearly 60 years.  It is held at the Cedar Lakes Conference Center in Ripley, West Virginia.

My teacher for this camp was Jyl Robbins.  She gifted each student with these sweet aprons, complete with our name and a little dragonfly.  It was great because everyone's name was very visible.


Jyl is not a primitive teacher, though like many teachers, can teach primitive.  Along with another northern Ohio hooker, Arlene, she and I were like fish out of the water in the class.  We were hooking with mainly 8 1/2 cuts (8.5/32nd of an inch).  Everyone else was hooking with a 3, 4 or 5 (3/32, 4/32, 5/32 of an inch).

Arlene's rug.  It is a biggie at 30" x 40".

My rug is titled Shady Spot.  It was inspired by a mid-18th century needlework wallet.  I knew it looked familiar but didn't know why until Marly enlightened me.  She charted it out and stitched it.  You can see it here.

And here is a needlepoint version you can see on this post.

What I have done after 4 days of hooking.  Would I have liked to have more done?  Of course, but overall I am happy with what I have hooked.  Some of the blue flowers seem a bit bright.  Not sure if they will be toned down.

For once I took lots of pictures so have much more to share . . . if I can get my computer to play nice.  Tonight it is not.

Off tomorrow to vend at a hook in and then can breathe easy (yeah, right!) for a few weeks.  That is if the yard boy and the cleaning lady show up 😁

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren


6 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

So glad you had fun at the hook retreat. The apron was a very nice gift. Looks like a lot of loops hooked in your latest piece. Looks nice thus far. Janice

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Love your project, those aprons, nice gift

Saundra said...

You accomplished a lot, me thinks. Wow, I'd have endured feeling like a fish out of water too for that wonderful gift. Good luck today with sales.

acorn hollow said...

It is hard when others are doing fine cut and you are not.
Can't wait to see your pictures
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Do you know how to use an apron??? LOL...I am kidding!! I know, I know, many hookers use them. I only use them when flour is involved. ;-) That one is adorable. You already know I think you made fantastic progress on that rug and I adore your color palette. Good luck vending! ~Robin~

NMK said...

Love your cute Apron & nice name tag ! Your rug is looking great ....love your colors .
Good Luck selling you great pieces !!! Can't wait to see your pictures from the Hook In !!!