Friday, December 31, 2021

As the Year Ends ~


Another year bites the dust ~ and I am very thankful I am here to ring in the new year (though I may be sleeping when it arrives . . . party girl I am NOT).  I know I say it all the time, but I can't believe how quickly time is passing.  I am hopeful 2022 will be an even better year for me and you.  We must be thankful for the small stuff and never forget to count our blessings.

I am very thankful we are having such a mild winter here on Ohio's north coast.  The other day my furnace sounded different.  The next evening it was extremely loud the last time it kicked on.  In the morning I called and made an appointment for the service technician to come have a look.  Long story short . . . it quit.  No heat.  No fan.  No nothing.  Luckily the temperature was not going to go below freezing that night (as it normally would at this time of year) so I didn't need to worry about frozen pipes.  The next day the service tech was here right on schedule.  Blower motor failed.  Of course it was less than a year out of warranty.  Argh.  The bad news (as relayed by the tech) is that there is a nationwide shortage of blower motors.  The good news . . . they had one left.  In about an hour I had heat and the best news was the repair was less than $400!!!  Not that it is pocket change, but I was thinking it would be much worse.  Even Molly was happy hot air was once again blowing from the bathroom register.


Now I know that many of you have had your decorations put away for many days, and normally by now I am so ready to take all mine down.  I would generally start on the 1st.  This year I am enjoying them so much I plan to leave them up for at least a few more days.  The house always looks so dark and gloomy when all the little white lights are gone.  I do keep my candles in the windows year round and have a few other lights around, but the glow is gone.

Hooking is still going slowly, but I am making a little progress.  Hopefully I can share an update soon.

Happy New Year to one and all.  Here's to a healthy and prosperous 2022.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

13 comments:

NMK said...

Time seems to fly by faster every year ! My little Grand kids are growing up way too fast for me ....I want them to stay small & full of happiness & fun forever !
Thank goodness it has not been freezing & you were able to get your heat working so quickly !
I was going to start taking my Cmas tree down tomorrow , but with this dreary , gloomy weather we are having , I will keep it up a little longer too . I will keep my white lights up thru February , just makes me feel happy !
Lets Hope 2022 will be a Happy , Healthy year for all of us !!!!
Happy New Year !!!!!

Saundra said...

Wow, you did get away cheap at $400. I've had my A/C go out on me during the hot month of July and one time my furnace went out in winter so I feel your pain. Looking forward to your other finishes while you enjoy your holiday decorations a few more days.

Prims By The Water said...

I usually leave my Christmas decor up until mid January. So glad the furnace part did not break your bank. I sure hope 2022 is a better year. Bob and I will watch the Michigan football game against Georgia where my cousin went to school down South. Am hoping Michigan wins so I can rub it in to him. LOL! Here's to 2022 being a better year. Happy New Year my friend! Janice

coke said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Lauren!!!! Glad you have some heat, as you know we have been lucky, cause I think our luck is just about to run out...:( ... We are OHIO people you know. L0L

marly said...

One left? You lucky gal. I'll be sleeping at midnight too, or watching Friends. I'm pretty tired but I can't get Nit inside for two days and I will stay up as long as I can to continue trying.

I would keep those delightful treasures up for another week. Happy new year Lauren.

acorn hollow said...

Oh so sorry about your furnace! We have been very mild also which is good because heating oil is very expensive this year. I am going to keep what Christmas I put up for a while. The nights are long and chilly, and it makes me feel warm and cozy to have my lights and Christmas things up. WE are not having company so who cares? Husband said he likes to keep them up too.
Happy New Year!
Cathy

JustGail said...

Our furnace motor went last winter, and even then motors were getting short supply. As with you, lucky they had one in stock, and the bill was less than we feared it would be, and not super cold weather. Now we know what that buzzy noise was when the blower came on. Gradually it lasted longer and longer when the motor started. Finally only the buzz and no blower. But it lasted 18 years, I hope the new one does that well. I also hope when it goes out again, we remember that buzz on starting means we better get the motor replaced sooner than later, especially in winter.

The inside decorations were down Wednesday, to the attic yesterday. Yes, it is a bit dark now, but I'm happy knowing I don't need to do the attic steps again for a while. The lights on the gutters outside are still up, but the blow molds are all in the garage.

I hope you have a great 2022.

denise said...

Happy New Year 🎉🥂

Jennie in GA said...

Hope you have a wonderful year ahead. And I hope this damnable Covid takes a nosedive. Most of our rug hooking events for tge past two years have been canceled….everything but our Christmas luncheon this year…and I am tired of it!!! I know what you mean about the soft lights. Last year I left some up above my kitchen window and have them set to come on late afternoon. I have thoroughly enjoyed them. Especially on gloomy days, like today. Glad your repair was on the cheaper side and that they had the part. And of course the warranty had just run out. Isn’t that always the way???? Take care, you and Miss Molly.♥️

TheCrankyCrow said...

My tree has been down for quite a while now - like maybe 2 years? Or has it been 3?? But, yes - I know there is nothing like the warmth of the glow of Christmas lights. Everything I had put up is still up and will be up until I go back there....and maybe even then they will still be up for a while. Glad you got your furnace repaired quickly and it didn't cost a king's ransom. Happy New Year GT... ~et~ (PS....Are you saying I'm a party girl just because I was up at midnight?????)

Julia said...

Sorry about your furnace and that you were blessed with mild weather and that you could get it fixed quickly.

I always leave my Christmas decoration until Epiphany and this year, it will take me about 5 minutes to take everything down. I'm fortunate to have lots of natural light so it's not too dark in the house on gloomy days.

I didn't party but went to bed very late and feel like I'm on vacation. Happy New Year Lauren.

Hugs, Julia

marie said...

We suffered similar, our heat pump was making a funny noise, the tech came out and it was the fan motor, none in stock, so it was ordered, maybe it will show up later this week. We too have been having warm weather, unheard of 75 on Jan 1st. Suppose to be cold again on Sun night. We can use the emergency heat if needed. Ours was still under warranty so the part is covered but we have to pay a reduced service call since we have them on twice a year contract.
My Christmas is still up, I got "something", tested negative for strep and covid. Dr called it the winter crud. Sore throat, terrible coughing. Sore throat was gone in 72 hours, but the coughing and congestion is still here. Poor hubby hasn't gotten much sleep.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

Olde Dame Holly said...

So glad it was not a whole-furnace replacement. Those are so spendy. But that motor wasn't cheap! So cute to see Molly getting her warm air fix. My short-haired dogs tend to be chilled, with the exception of the Lab I had, who loved to rub her belly on the snow and the cold tile! Happy New Year!