Thursday, December 9, 2021

Hand-Me-Downs ~

A friend who does mostly modern Christmas, gave me her vintage Christmas items which she referred to as hand-me-downs.  I could use more friends like her 😁  Earlier this year I purchased a ratty little feather tree.  The "trunk" has been redone, the base is questionable at best, and most of the branches, well, not sure what happened to them.  They almost appear as if the feathers had melted.   (Is that possible?)  But it was cheap and I am no purist so it came home with me. This entire vignette is composed of my friend's hand-me-downs.  Glass ornaments, old glass garlands, celluloid Santa and antlerless reindeer, Santa in a sleigh, little cardboard house, and hard plastic Santas.  

There even was a tree topper!  This will be known as my Chris vignette.  Everyone needs a friend like Chris if you appreciate old stuff.


Remember this floor lamp base I purchased last month?  Of course I did not make something to hang from it as planned.


BUT . . . I found the perfect thing for the Christmas season in my goodies.  I think it is just right.


I am still having some technical issues.  Most of you are not receiving an email when I leave a comment on your blog.  I don't know why it is happening and I don't know how to fix it.  I did not change any settings.  GGGRRRRRRR!!!

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

15 comments:

acorn hollow said...

yikes I need her as a friend!!!!! Crazy wonderful! your antlerless deer looks like a sheep from here. I love what you did with the light stand. You are so creative
Cathy

Sue Swank said...

I too really like the light stand. You are so creative. Chris must've seen a bare spot in your home and said, " I think Lauren needs more stuff". and you always arrange it to be so cute.

Saundra said...

Back in the day I'd loved a friend like that; but I've already collected enough which I no longer use. The feather tree is sweet and want to know the story about the piece hanging from your antique lamp.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ahem.... Did you tell your friend Chris that we come as a matched pair??? You scored some seriously fun treasures. I agree, the deer looks like a sheep. Yes, that snowman is the perfect shape and size for the lamp base.... And, yes (again), I meant to let you know that you had slipped into that small group of peeps who comment on my blog but for which comments I receive no notification. By the time I saw your comment on my last post (deleting spam...what's up with the proliferation of THAT crap???!!!) responding was a moot point. Are ya done decorating now?????? ~Robin~

PatT said...

First time commenting on your blog, but lucky you! You have some fun vintage treasures, albeit a bit worn. It's a delightful display! Merry Christmas!

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful pieces and I do love things that have been much loved.

Debbie

JustGail said...

I like the lamp! Part of me would love a friend that was giving away old vintage stuff. Another part says NO you are trying to cut down what you need to drag down/up to the attic!

Comments... I wonder if it's only blogs on blogger not sending emails that you've left comments? It may not be anything you did, Google may had done something that everyone on that platform needs to check/change/reset something. No, that can't be! Google would *never* make changes that goofed things up! :-O. ;->

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

I love hand-me-downs, vintage, worn and loved--my favorite tree is a feather tree with small baskets hanging from the branches (am hoping to update blog this weekend)

denise said...

Lucky you! They are absolutely gorgeous . Merry Christmas 🎄🎄

Farm Girl said...

Oh goodness, I have been putting up with that for six months or more. I feel terrible when I check my blog and I haven't received any notification and its been weeks since some lovely person left a comment. Your tree is wonderful. I love that table topper and the garland is incredible. I think you just know how to decorate. I love your lamp stand. That looks incredible. You find such treasures.
Have a wonderful weekend.

marie said...

Even thou I'm downsizing my decorations I love hand me downs. That snowman was the perfect fit for the lamp base, is it wood? Looks like what I would of love to painted in my painting faze.

Prims By The Water said...

Antique feather trees are sometimes prone to bugs. It will ruin them. I was always told to store them in tied garbage bags away from heat. A wonderful tree I might add and a wonderful name for it! So your snowman banner looks amazing on the old lamp. Maybe you should purchase different ones for each month unless you still will hook a rug for it. Hope you have a great weekend! Janice

Jennie in GA said...

I would take those hand me downs anyway. That’s a real friend. And your use of them shows your usual charm!!!

NMK said...

Lucky you to get wonderful prim hand me downs !!! They are beautiful !!! Your snowman on your old lamp is perfect there !!!

marly said...

Love it. And your staircase. My feathers drooped and I've lost enough barbs to need rogaine. Your tree's goose may have been an old bird. But still attractive.