Sunday, December 12, 2021

Nine More Days ~


Happy Sunday!  The good news ~ only nine more days until the winter solstice. Nine more days until the days start getting longer.  To me that is actually GREAT news.

I do have a finish to share.  It was hooked last winter, but never "finished".  I just wasn't sure how to do the binding on such a piece, so I just winged it.  

My first thought was to cover the entire back in wool but here is what I ended up doing.  Probably not the right way, but I have found on a round piece it is easier to make little pleats rather than trying to gather the binding (in this case wool). 


And more great news!  The decorating is finally done.  It only took close to two weeks . . . I know that's insane . . . but as I've said in the past, I am my own worst enemy.

My dining room is not a huge room, but I have lots packed in to it.  Atop the pie safe.  

This tree is to the left.  It was hard to get a picture.  I had to crawl under the dining table (not a pretty sight!) 😁


To the left of the window is another cupboard . . . or part of one.  The decorations on the shelves are hard plastic Santas from the 1950's.


The cubby is filled with part of my collection of treenware.  The reindeer are a few more of the hand-me-downs from friend Chris.

Two more hand-me-downs πŸ˜‰



Little 1 1/4" Santa from my "almost sister-in-law" Lyn, marked Germany.

Tree with vintage chenille Santas and little glass bells.


On the opposite wall is the jelly cupboard.  The Santa tree I shared in a previous post is to the left.

The large stepback cupboard is on the third dining room wall.

Of course there is still lots of piddly stuff to do . . . wrapping, a few more cards, etc.

Please think good thoughts.  Molly's surgery for the mast cell tumor and a dental are tomorrow. Poor baby.  I am having both done at the same time so she is only under anesthesia once.  Anesthesia is more of a risk for brachycephalic (flat faced) animals.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

14 comments:

Saundra said...

I cannot imagine putting out all those decorations and worse is thinking about packing them up and putting them away. But, whatever floats your boat. Question, is the decoration marathon for you or your dinner guests?
Your snowman is adorable and the pleating seemed to work just fine. He's cute.

Saundra said...

OOPS, clicked send too fast. Hoping all goes well with your fur baby's surgery tomorrow.

TheCrankyCrow said...

You win.

TheCrankyCrow said...

(And, yes...send hugs and prayers and healing thoughts Miss Molly's way. I'll be thinking of you both....)

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Let us all know how Molly did!
The cupboard with three white reindeer is my fav!

JustGail said...

You have lots of wonderful things. I was thinking as I put things up this year why I don't get into the holiday (any holiday) decorating more. So many reasons, from I don't care for much of what I do have to hating the unpacking/packing and the trips to attic which is terrible for the items.

Now for a question from a non-rug hooker - is there a reason you don't use bias binding on curved items in rug hooking? Other than the wools seem to be in small pieces? Bias binding is used on quilts with curved edges. Or from the garment world - gather, steam and press the wool binding into shape before stitching it down?

Hope all goes well with Mollie!

JustGail said...

I forgot to ask for next year - what do you put in crocks to hold the trees up? I did a search and found only things like sand or gravel.

Penny said...

Love all your decorating, and especially love your spirit! Your hooked snowman is fabulous….I love it!

Farm Girl said...

I know its so much work for you, but I love seeing your house so much! I love looking at everything. Some of it I have never seen before. I love that cute little snowman, Its so cute.

NMK said...

You have the Best Santa collections!!! They are all so unique!!! Everything looks Wonderful!
I made snowman coaster from Woolen Memories! Everybody loved them , since they were small , I covered the entire backs with wool .
Oh your poor Molly , I will send her well wishes all day !!! Take care

Prims By The Water said...

Prayers and thoughts for Molly but best to do it in one visit. I know prims and Christmas make a home more festive at Christmas time and your home is no exception. If you ever find some treenware or coverlets missing...they may be in Michigan. ;-) Love every display you finished. It takes me weeks to a month to get mine up...and I still have not decorated my large tree. It may only have lights on it this year. Too funny on how you managed to get the one picture, but you did a good job getting it. Janice

Olde Dame Holly said...

How is Molly doing? I really worry about the anesthesia they give animals. It seems so very hard on them. My kitty is still feeling the effects after his surgery. Your home is just gorgeous. There is no place at all without something beautiful and interesting in it. Impossible to pick a favorite. I wish there were a picture of YOU getting the perfect photo by crawling under the table!

Jennie in GA said...

Love your sweet snowman!!! What fun it is to peep into your home and see, not only your amazing Christmas decor, but all of your wonderful furnishings and samplers on your wall. One of these days I am coming to visitπŸ™ƒπŸ˜‰

Andrea said...

LOVE that snowman. I've never seen one that shape before. You did a great job finishing it.