Sunday, June 27, 2021

Yard Happenings ~


Two years ago while leaving Millersburg, I stumbled upon a shop that sold concrete garden statues.  I loved the sheep and wanted to bring him home, but didn't want to spend the $$.  Surprisingly I was able to find their business card and found out they still sold them.  While in Millersburg for my hooking class, I drove the half hour to the shop and had him loaded in the back of my little SUV.  Isn't he the sweetest?


These are the Bubblegum petunias Marly raves about every year.  On June 1st . . .


And today . . .
The little rusty silhouettes are totally hidden. 😁


The hydrangeas are beautiful once again this year.  This is just two plants.  Hard to believe the color variations on the plants.


Molly loves being outside with me while I work.  I guess she found it cooler in the plants.


Any ideas on what these little sprouts may be?   Every year I get them by the hundreds under the burning bush.  The garden center was no help.  They just said "probably some kind of weed".  (I don't remember if my friend tried to find it with a plant identifier app.) 


And here is another plant that in the 22 years of living here I have never had.  They have inundated the neighborhood.  They are in the lawn, in every sidewalk crack, flower bed and pot.  I have been pulling them out by the hundreds!  Plant identifier said they may be poison ivy . . . which they are not.  Once again the garden center said it was most likely "some kind of weed".


Thank so much for the visit.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

11 comments:

Saundra said...

You definitely win the prize here. When first moving here 20 plus years ago I couldn't wait to cut grass, planted flowers, weeded, etc. But I live on a huge plot of land and it is only me here now doing what I can when it requires. Plus you are probably 20 years or so younger. I'll enjoy your beautiful yard from afar.

TheCrankyCrow said...

So much beauty in one post. Those petunias are incredible....as are your gorgeous hydrangeas. You must have an alkaline soil base to get those colors. I have tried here and they never color....despite using soil additives. The true hybrids like the Niko blue just don't survive our winters. Hydrangeas are one of my all-time favorite shrubs. Love your little sheep! I have several that I got many years ago, but they are not concrete....just that polystone stuff or whatever they call it that looks like concrete. Sorry, I'm no help with identifying your mystery plants, but would be curious if any one comes up with an answer for you. I believe we have the latter here too, but I've not seen the first one here...but, dang, it looks familiar for some reason...like I "should" know what it is. ~Robin~

Julia said...

Oh, I love the concrete sheep. I have no idea how big it is but I don't blame you for going back to get it. I would be worried someone steals it.

Your petunias are gorgeous and so prolific. I just planted mine not long ago and I started them from seeds. I'm sure they will grow fast in this humid weather.

I have no idea what those weeds are. It would be easier to identify the mature plant.

Take care and keep up the good work. Hugs

Julia


Prims By The Water said...

The first plant looks like some kind of zinnia or vegetable plant. Do you let them grow to see what they truly become? Beautiful hydrangeas! That sheep is amazing too. Cannot believe you passed it up the first time. Janice

Jo said...

Your flowers are gorgeous, with all this heat & humidity, mine are growing like crazy. I’ve never been a big petunia fan, but I also have a small pot of “bubblegum” petunias this year. Maybe next year I will plant more & in a huge black kettle. Those little seedlings in the first photo look like zinnia seedlings, did you have some planted there at one time? Would be interested to see some of them mature & what they turn out to be?? I’ll have to get the name of the shop in Millersburg that sells the concrete statues, I’d like to stop when I’m there late August. I must get moving....get my walk in while still a little cool! Have a good day!

susan hemann said...

love the sheep! The first plant looks like a zinnia to me, although zinnias are typically annuals. Right now the zinnia's I planted from seed look like that.
The second one is definitely a weed. Happy gardening.

acorn hollow said...

I will have to try those petunias next year I have white ones this year.
Your gardens are lovely and ohhhh I love that sheep!
Weeds it is a loosing battle here.
Cathy

Farm Girl said...

I always enjoy seeing pictures of your yard. I have no ideas what those plants are but they look happy. I love that sheep. I am so glad you went back and got it. Just amazing. Have a great week.

NMK said...

Love your Sweet Sheep !!! And those petunias are just gorgeous !!!
My neighbor feeds the birds all year long & I find some pretty surprises when I see little seedlings like your fist one ....I try to wait to see of they become a pretty flower & sometimes they do !
After seeing bears in our backyard , and I have had my twin 2 year old grand daughters at my house , they finally realized , I was furious they would not put their feeders away ! A neighbor had a talk with them & they have been gone for 2 weeks ! We had a bear cub wonder thru the yard yesterday looking for something good to nibble on ! He went back into the woods !!

Curtains in My Tree said...


hello long time no see

I love your concrete sheep
your hydrangeas are beautiful also. Since I live in Missouri and the rain won't stop my hydrangeas are pretty also. I think you have had rain also?

so glad to check in to see what's going on.

Andrea said...

No idea on the first one. The second one looks like the start of jewelweed. If I am correct, the sheep is mine!!