Friday, December 18, 2020

Bethia Fenshaw ~

 


Bethia Fenshaw stitched this tiny little sampler in 1861 at the age of 8.  I've stitched it on 40 count linen ~ a first for me.  Thankfully Jennie from Over the Hill and Running shared Ott light information with me.  I have several Otts, but none with a magnifier.  I don't think I could have stitched this without it.  Stitching was very slow going as I had to continually count and recount, check and recheck that my threads were not off.  I did my fair share of frogging.  It took 3+ weeks of daily stitching and it only measure 3 1/8" x 4 1/2".  Thanks to Marly who posted this sweet sampler to her blog.


I attached it to an old spool as did the designer, Whilst Iris Naps.  You can find the pattern here.


The designer laced the back while I chose to take the easy way out and just whip stitch it.  I must give myself an attagirl for actually "finishing" it.  Maybe even a participation trophy!  I am notorious for stitching and not finishing.  Kind of like hooking a rug and not binding it 😁

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

12 comments:

NMK said...

So pretty !!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

You da girl!!! Atta Girl!!! And a fabulous finish it is! I love your whip stitched back...always so very precise and even. Think I may file a petition to have your name changed from "GT" to "PT" ("picky" twin) ;-). I loved that design and finish when Miss Marly did it, and now I love it again (well, I didn't ever stop loving it...just conveniently put it out of my mind).... Might have to break down and order the pattern. I use cheaters and a magnifier light...and have for a long, long, time. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

I would love to get back to cross stitching but I do not think my eyes could take it. I love it so much so sweet
Cathy

Saundra said...

Isn't it interesting that WAY back in the day girls were taught the 'delicate art of hand work' as that was supposed to be the lady-like way. Yet, as much as I adore my DIL she can't even sew on a button. Of course she has MANY other wonderful traits and I outwardly show my love and appreciation for her; but sewing is not one of them.
AND...I might add that you will NOT catch me doing a cross stitch, counted or otherwise as that is far too delicate for my hands ~ delicate I'm not. Good work gal and glad you have another finish to be proud of.

Julia said...

Attagirl to you Lauren. You did it and it looks so sweet. That little cross stitch is amazing. So tiny but so much work. What a creative way of displaying it on a spool. I would have never thought of that.
Hugs,
Julia

Jacqueline said...

Love this piece and the finish. 40 count blows my mind. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Prims By The Water said...

Great finish. My eyes would need new glasses if I attempted that one. BTW Robin from the Cranky Crow told me she has your address. wink wink Janice

Jo Ann said...

Looks spot on Lauren. Love how you finished it. I'm proud of you ! I know you would rather be hooking. Happy Holidays dear friend. Hope to see you sometime in 2021.

marly said...

I may have seen it first but you finished it first! I really love this and need to mount mine. Bought two spools, both are still bare.

I was going to order the brightech floor model after Kohls is paid off, my Dazor is great but cumbersome to me. I'll take a look at the otts.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Oh, that is close work. I don't think I could even with a magnifier! But what a cute result.

Jennie in GA said...

You did a fabulous job on Bethia!! Congrats. And the finishing is perfect. Well worth the effort.

Christina said...

I LOVE IT! What a beautiful finish. Good for you for working on 40ct. It is not my favourite and I do not enjoy stitching on it, but I knew I had to stitch Bethia on a higher count so that she would fit on the spool! I'm so pleased that I found your blog. Best wishes, Christina (Whilst Iris Naps)