Monday, April 8, 2024

WOW! WOW! WOW!

I wish I could claim this picture as mine, but I can't.  It was taken by a friend of DSO's daughter.  Even though a good picture, it does not capture the magnificence of totality.

WOW!  WOW!  WOW!  Those are the adjectives I have for having witnessed a total solar eclipse.  I had been sweating the weather for days.  It was sunny this morning but the forecast called for cloudy skies during the eclipse.  Yes, clouds came in but not enough to ruin the experience.  Temps were in the mid 60's.  Just a perfect day.  And what an experience it was!  I rank this up there with the time I saw the space shuttle launch back in the late 80's.  Something I will never forget.

My pictures are terrible, but I will share one I took during totality.


During totality, you did not need to wear the eclipse glasses.  Because I live so near the centerline, our totality time was nearly 4 minutes!!!


This cool shot was taken by my sister-in-law.


The partial eclipse seen through the round holes of a colander.

I don't know if the crowds materialized as predicted or there were any shortages.  I am so blessed to have been able to experience this magnificent occurrence. 

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

9 comments:

Saundra said...

I didn't look into the sky since I didn't purchase the glasses. But did notice the somewhat darkening in the yard from sky so knew it was happening along the path of the event itself. Glad it happened for you and so pleased with the experience.

Julia said...

I saw the eclipse from my back deck when it was safe to see it with our naked eyes and it was amazing. The sky was clear and as it got darker, I was preparing supper and had to turn the lights on in the kitchen. My neighbour also came out to look at the darkened sun at the same time we did. I could see the red flares on the edge of the sun. Pretty amazing.

My daughter in Ottawa had to drive an hour to be able to see the eclipse.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rare eclipse.

Hugs, Julia

JustGail said...

I'm glad the weather cooperated for you! I wish I'd thought of a colander, but the tree that made a shadow on the driveway was very cool too.

NMK said...

You were lucky to see the Eclipse without driving miles ! Traffic heading North around me was bumper bumper. It just got a little cooler and cloudy at my house .
What a great experience you had !!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Lucky, lucky, you! Thanks for sharing the great photos....although I don't quite get the colander? I mean I see the design of the colander illuminated but do you hold it up to the sun or?? Good grief...what is happening to my brain? I saw nothing here...just another dark, dreary, day in Nod. I did go out while they said we should be at the peak and it seemed the sky did get a bit darker...but only like it might rain...which it eventually did. Sigh. When the next one comes along I doubt I will be around.... Weird thought that. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

It was an amazing event. Like you they predicted the clouds to roll in at the time of the eclipse, but thankfully they rolled in right after. Even though we were only at 99%, an event I will NEVER forget. Janice

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Happy you were able to experience an eclipse, it’s a pretty cool experience. Unfortunately because of cloud cover and rain Nashville only got darkness.

Jo said...

Yes, it was a WOW experience, a once-in-a-lifetime! I had no idea it would be so amazing. And we had a perfect weather day to sit outside for 2+ hours with grandchildren & experience it.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

absolutely WOW ~ even as a partial here in these parts...