Monday, March 20, 2023

Happy Spring ~

 


I recently purchased a #10 cutter blade.  Wasn't really planning on purchasing one, but DSO said he would buy it for my birthday, so I figured what the heck.  (For you non-hookers, a #10 blade is the equivalent of 10/32" strip of wool.)  I normally hooked with an 8.5 (8.5/32") which is my absolute favorite size to use.  I tried the 10 on a pumpkin, and oh, I do like it and with a wide shank hook it is very easy to pull through the linen backing.  After comparing the handtorn pumpkin with the 10 cut pumpkin, I prefer the handtorn look on a pumpkin that size, but the 10 cut is easier on the hand/wrist.  I am amazed at the size of rugs some people hook with handtorn strips, but I don't think I will be attempting such a project.  (You know who you are, Jo . . . lol!)  Yesterday, after hooking with the 10, I started a small project with the 8.5 . . . and it seemed so skinny 😁  I'm sure Julia, who hooks with 3's (3/32"), I believe, is just shaking her head.


Thank so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

11 comments:

Saundra said...

So the #10 cut is on the right side, right? I like the hand torn ruffled look of the left pumpkin also.
Happy Birthday.

Julia said...

Oh, rats! I missed your birthday. 🎂💐🍷
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY dear Lauren. I'm glad you like your #10 cutting wheel. Your DSO knows you. A # 10 is huge for me. I'm getting ready to hook with a # 3 again. My favorite is #5, maybe it's because that's what I taught to hook with first. Very easy on the wrist. I've been dying some skin color today.

Spring came in sunny, windy, and cold. I can't wait until the snow is all gone off the deck to start the bar-B-Q.
Hugs,
Julia

Julia said...

I'll be the devil's advocate because I like the #10 cut pumpkin the best. I had to come back to double-check the difference. The torn strips must be a #12 or more. It's so wide.

Prims By The Water said...

Happy Spring. Loved the joke. Happy to see you got a birthday present you wanted. Bob always gives me money and says buy what you want. I am sure you are thrilled with your new cutter size. Janice

marly said...

Whenever it was, is, or will be ... happy birthday!
You can tear wool? Really?

TheCrankyCrow said...

Once again, happiest of birthday GT! I'd have to double check but I think the largest blade I have is a 9.5? (Or was the Beast in a 10? I can't remember....) Anyway, and to be contrary (not because I'm naturally contrary but because I have a real pumpkin thing), I really love both pumpkins equally. Kinda like a frozen pizza and a pizza pizza? They are like two different food categories to me. Love both but you can't really compare them. I tried doing hand torn strips with a little heart pillow design of Cathy's and it drove me crazy. I ended up hand cutting them. And swore never again. ~et~

Sue Swank said...

Your pumpkins are great, both of them. I just cannot hook with strips that wide. It makes m hurt. I would say, I must be getting old. But.. Well you know. Hope your birthday was a good one.

Jo said...

Glad to see you went over to the “wide” side!!! It’s good to have variety, all sizes makes a rug look old. I’m getting ready to hook a chair pad & will probably need to cut my 10’s in half! And oh.......Happy Birthday!! Hook on!!

acorn hollow said...

Happy birthday!!! Great gift. I use an 8 a lot and have done small projects hand torn but they take a lot more time I think.
Cathy

Margaret T. Zenk said...

I bought a 10 and use it mostly when i need something narrow-- down the middle it replaces the need for a 5! I now have a 6,7,8,8.5, 9, and 10. Also I've learned that the lid of the storage box that came with the Townsend provides an extra space to keep the cutters since the box only appears to hold 4 plus whatever is in the cutter.

NMK said...

Happy Birthday !!!! I Love both of your pumpkins too ! I am taking the Plunge & getting a 9 size Sizzix , I just love how nice & primitive things look . I have tried it and can't wait !!!