Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Miscellaneous Stuff ~

The computer is back from the tech hospital!!!  Just from turning it on and starting this post, it seems to be MUCH faster.  Hallelujah 😁

On our way to the hook in, friend Val and I stopped in a quaint town with many antique shops.  We are talking REAL antique shops with true antiques.  The first shop we stopped at was an old log cabin.  The person working there never acknowledged our presence.  Good thing there wasn't anything I wanted to buy there!  Lots of great antiques but overall I found the prices sky high.  I spent a whopping $12 on two old textile spools I hope to use some day for cross stitch projects.

The Woolkeepers hook in was great fun.  It was so nice being a hooker (though I did not accomplish one thing) rather than a vendor.

Of course I bought wool.  Now I need to figure out where to put it . . . sigh.  Most hookers will understand that it is an addiction.  I also ordered a pattern.  Let me tell you, it is a very small world.  The pattern was designed by Diane Firman and sold by Baa Baa Barrett Woolen Designs and Such.  The owner of Baa Baa Barrett had ordered a couple of my pumpkins on coverlets.  Diane happened to be in the booth when I stopped there.  She is one of my blog readers and had recently purchased a heart necklace from me.  (Thank you, Diane!)  What are the chances?  So here is the rug ~ I am guessing it is 3 1/2 feet long.

A lousy picture of the close up of the wonderful background ~

~ all achieved with this wool!  I was so thankful to have found it at the hook in.  I never would have visualized it hooking up so cool.


And look at her wonderful label!


So I have some bad news.


Sunday morning I missed the last step leading to the garage.  DSO insisted I go to urgent care.  I have to admit, he was right.  I have fractured my fibula.

The really bad news . . . it is my driving foot 😢 . . . and I will be wearing the boot for 4 - 6 weeks.

But the good news is . . . saw an orthopedic doctor yesterday and I do not need surgery . . . and I am thankful it is my leg and not my hip.  I am still in the "feeling sorry for myself" stage, but that, too, shall pass.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

12 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I am glad you had a wonderful time hooking or socializing with other hookers lol. I love your new rug pattern and the background wool is wonderful.
Sorry about your accident I hope you heal nice and fast. But now there is no excuse to not sit with your foot up and hook
Cathy

Jo said...

Oh my, sorry to read about your foot! I hope it heals fast & you’re back to running races soon!
Woolkeepers Hook In was great fun, although when you’re a vendor there’s not much down time to shop & visit with others! And I learned a long time ago, if you are a shopper, no need to take anything to work on, you never get to sit & do it!
I do like shopping or browsing in that quaint little town, but sadly have experienced that same lack of attention in The Log Cabin.
I’m having a lazy week & enjoying the cooler fall weather! Garden needs cleaned up, maybe next week!

Saundra said...

Ah, the basic black dress for an injured foot. I'd be afraid with the bulkiness of it I'd trip over my own foot. Veery lovely wool in that background and guessing the snowman is the pattern you ordered?
I agree with Cathy, no excuse for you to not hook!!

JustGail said...

Yay on the computer and the good time at Woolkeepers and meeting one of your readers. That's a very pretty wool, thanks for showing it uncut and how it looks in a rug. It is gorgeous. I know it's mind games - acknowledging that buying quilt fabric is a hobby all its own has reduced my ambivalence on buying more when my shelves are already stuffed. Maybe that would work for your wool buying angst?

Antique shop prices are expensive, but after sitting at an auction for 7-ish hours to buy an item, I pondered the balance of my time/energy/gas/snack $ with paying dealers for theirs. That day, I'd say pay the dealers. But I *really* wanted that machine and save it from destruction. Then when I get to shops or shows and see the prices, I say I've got plenty of time to hit estate & garage sales myself. Whether I have the energy or ambition is another story :-)

OUCH on the broken bone & the boot. I hope it heals quickly. How long before you learn to drive with your left foot?

DUTA said...

Enjoy your computer and your newly bought wool!
Wishing you a speedy recovery! (Immediately applying ice would have saved you much trouble).

NMK said...

Oh that Snowman is cute & love that wool !!!
Your poor foot ....do you have a scooter to help you get around ? I couldn't have survived my 8 weeks due to foot surgery without that . I hated using crutches. Hope you can sit and hook & stitch and enjoy being pampered for a while !!! Take care ....

marly said...

LOVE that snowman. Sorry about your fall, and that boot is miserable! But I guess better than a cast. The way time is flying by, you'll be off the boot before you know it.

TheCrankyCrow said...

My foot and leg aches for yours. When I broke my foot (not to be confused when I fell down the stairs and broke my tibia and tore my VMO and ACL), I was in a book and absolutely HATED it. Given its added height and the fact that, at home, I just can't wear shoes, my two legs were at different levels and talk about doing a number on my back... EEK. Love your snowman pattern and I would have never guessed that wool would hook up so beautifully like that. I love wools I can use for backgrounds by themselves so I don't have to "think" about blending various wools. Yeah, I'm lazy like that. I don't have an issue with buying wool...but linen and xstitch patterns??? Eeeeh gad. I can't remember the last time I've been in any antique store. That makes me sad. But it's probably for the best. ~Robin~ (Heal quick!)

Prims By The Water said...

Ouch, I remember breaking my two toes and having to wear the BOOT. Thankfully mine was not my driving foot. So glad you do not need surgery. Looking at that wool, I probably would pass on it. but it does look wonderful with that snowman. Are you able to name the city you did some antiquing at? Bob and I would stop at some shops in Ohio each time we went to the Springfield Antique show. We found the father south we went, the more expensive the stores got. Janice

WoolenSails said...

That looks like a fun rug and great fabric for a background. Sorry about your foot, I am still beat up from my falls, so I know I need them looked at, but hate being laid up at all, I cannot sit still that long, lol.

Debbie

Kay Harmon said...

Sorry to hear about your fall. They happen in the blink of an eye.
Elinor is such a sweet lady. I am hoping to go to Woolkeepers next year.

jody said...

OMG Lauren, so sorry! Also hard this time of the year! January maybe would have been better! Glad you didn't need surgery! Missing a step is so easy to do! Use this as an excuse to sit with your foot up and hook! Was skimming thru your posts, love your smaller early hooking rugs! Take care Lauren!