Thursday, July 15, 2021

Anakeesta ~

We only had two days in Gatlinburg, so we were limited on what we could see and do.  We went to Anakeesta which is considered a theme park, though not the kind of theme park I would normally think of.  To get to Anakeesta you rode on a chondola, which I would just call a ski lift chair.  The ride takes you up 600' to the summit of Anakeesta Mountain.  

At the top there are a few restaurants and of course the requisite gift shops.  

We climbed 84 steps to the top of AnaVista Tower, Gatlinburg's highest point, with beautiful 360* vistas of the surrounding area.




Treetop Skywalk is the longest tree-based skywalk in North America with 880' of spectacular bridges suspended 50' - 60' in the air.



We even took the lift back up in the evening to walk the Skywalk at dusk.


The flowers were spectacular!




Anakeesta also has a single-rail mountain coaster, the first of its kind in the US.  You fly down the mountain on this single rail track with 1600 feet of downhill twists and turns at speeds up to 25 mph.  You control the speed as you descend.  I must say, it was great fun 😁  DSO opted not to ride because of his back issues and it was probably wise he decided to pass.  Not me, but the picture gives you an idea of what the coaster looked like.


I was going to share a bit about the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, but this post has taken far too long and I am hoping to pull a few loops.

Thanks so much for stopping by 
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

11 comments:

acorn hollow said...

We have those mountain coasters here I haven't done it in years though. What a beautiful place and you are right the flowers are lovely. that bridge at night is wonderful.
Cathy

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

What great fun! I’ve never seen a mountain coaster. I’d try.

JustGail said...

I'm not sure I could do the tower or treetop skywalk. But that coaster looks like lots of fun. The flowers are gorgeous, and I love how they are used as part of art displays in addition to traditional beds.

Saundra said...

The floral flag was awesome, as was the colorful area with the purple bike. Since you control the speed of the rail coaster I wonder if the anyone ever catches up to and rams into a slow poke in front?

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Yes on the coaster ride, no on the bridge (I am terrified of heights and swinging bridges)

Farm Girl said...

Oh what fun!!! I would love to ride that down the mountain. What a cool place! I love the pictures. I will have to take a trip there!

Julia said...

What a wonderful place to spend some time in the outdoors. Everything looks so nice. I'd love to ride the mountain coaster and walk that suspended bridge night and day.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Julia

Jennie in GA said...

It actually looks like fun, but like DSO, my back would probably make me pass. Those bridges are amazing. I have a photo of myself somewhere at age 10 riding a gondola up that mountain. No restaurants or gift shops back then, but a beautiful view.

Prims By The Water said...

What wonderful views, but alas I am so afraid of heights so I would have passed on all. Glad you had fun! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

What an amazing place that looks to be! I'd be all in for the coaster, but not sure with the back? Those tree bridges are incredible...and how romantic to be there at dusk. I've always been captivated by tree houses and these look so very tempting....but then I recall when we would go to the favorite fishing spot on the river by the house where we lived.... There was a railroad bridge we had to cross to get to the river... I literally had to give my pole to someone else to carry and they would go on ahead....Then I would get down on my hands and knees and crawl across. Sometimes I swear I'd get to the river bank just before the rest were ready to leave. (And thankfully there was only one train per day that went through and I would not go along if I had not heard/seen the train went through as I couldn't imagine crossing and worrying a train may come before I made it over. Hope you share what you were going to share in another post!! I'm enjoying this vicariously so much! Robin (Oh...and the flowers!!!! How creative some people are...)

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

WOW! Oh, I want to go there now! How fun and how beautiful! The clever flower gardens are amazing and the evening photo of the Skywalk is just magical. What a wonderful place to visit!