Tuesday, July 20, 2021

A Lesson Learned ~

Before leaving for Tennessee, I started this little oval mat.  I've never hooked an oval mat such as this before, and started on the outer edge.  After getting the first four rows done, I took a good look at it off the frame.  I didn't like what I saw.  The exposed inner linen was wonky and not lying flat.  I wasn't sure if I should proceed, but decided what the heck.  That was a lot of hooking to tear out.  


I have found that hooking in DSO's Honda Pilot is easy, and since it is a larger SUV, I have plenty of room . . . and thankfully he does not have a problem with the wool dust.

There is even a built in snippet bowl in the door 😁

I got lucky because it ended up ok.  In fact, it lay perfectly flat before I even steamed it.  But . . . by the time I got to the center, I no longer had oval rows.  They ended up being rectangles.  Not exactly what I wanted, but no way am I reverse hooking any of it!!!  Friend Heidi, who also teaches, says that I should have started in the center and worked my way out.  The finished size is about 15" x 19".

Here are some of the ties I will be using for the "tongues".  They all belonged to my older brother and the mat will be a birthday gift for his long time significant other, Lyn.  Her birthday is the 24th of this month.  She may will be getting this a few days late.

My brother spent his career at Nordson Corporation, and I think it is so cool I can even incorporate his Nordson ties.


I am off bright and early Thursday for four days of hooking heaven in Millersburg.  I was not going to procrastinate this time and be ready early.  Guess what?  Isn't happening . . . LOL.  

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

11 comments:

Saundra said...

Thanks for providing that lesson to us ~ I'll tuck that in my cranium. Take loads of pics and be sure to take pictures of Tanya's rug. Maybe she was going to send me a picture after it was finished....IF she remembered, lol.

Julia said...

Your oval rug looks great even though the last center rows are straight. A great way to teach us a lesson and while having fun hooking.

No dust is collecting on your shoes except maybe, wool dust. Have a great time hooking with like-minded friends.

Hugs,
Julia

NMK said...

Your oval matt looks pretty , good to know that helpful tip though! What a great gift it will be , those ties are perfect !!! Have a Great time at the Hook In !!!

Farm Girl said...

I think your oval looks pretty good. But I am so glad that you said you start in the middle. I will remember that. I hope you have such a wonderful time.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

I’ve hooked an oval rug too. Started with my holding line on the outside then hooked from middle out. However, it wasn’t as I’d have liked either. Then a teacher told me that you need to hook different sections of the outside holding line in a particular order. Not a continuous curve. I cannot recall the order as I was tired of dealing with the rug 🤣 regardless, your rug is sweet and the colours are right up my alley!

stitchingnana47@gmail.com said...

I WONDER WHY THAT HAPPENS? OH WELL; I LOVE IT AND THE COLORS ARE FANTASTIC; LOOK HOW THOSE TIES GO WITH! lOVELY, LAUREN!

Prims By The Water said...

WOW another hooking party. Way to go girl and have fun! Janice

acorn hollow said...

You are a woman on the move! I like those tie rugs what a wonderful gift.
Enjoy your 4 days of wooly love
cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hmmmm...go figure... A vehicle with a built-in snippet holder. Gonna have to make sure my next one has one too... Oh, never mind...I'm never a passenger and it wouldn't be a good idea to hook and drive at the same time. Ahhh....the oval/circle lesson. I can snicker (cuz I'm the evil twin, ya know.) Didn't I mention I learned that one a few months back hooking 13 stars??? It's a square design, yes, but the stars form a circle so I thought I would hook the background in a circle....and all of a sudden a "bubble" formed. Cathy warned me....but it was too late. I saw it happening in slow motion and did try to compensate...but it was, shall we say, an ugly lesson learned. Enjoy your upcoming hooking adventure. Good thing you are having more than enough fun for the two of us cuz this twin ain't having any. ~et~

denise said...

I think the mat is too cute!

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

I like that metamorphizing oval! Looks like it was purposefully done! The tie idea is wonderful. Have fun on your hookcation!