Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Antique Black ~


I don't dye wool often and when I do the results usually are so-so.  Often great colors, but just not what I was looking to achieve.  I found a Kathy Morton recipe for antique black in the September/October 1996 issue of Rug Hooking Magazine.  I must have 2 yards of the wool on the left.  I haven't a clue where or when I got it, but I'm guessing it must have been a great price since I have such a large piece.  It is not something I would use as-is (unless maybe hooking a chicken), but I love the dyed result.  The piece on the right will be much more useful, too, though I don't have much of it.  I hope next time I use the recipe, I will have the same outcome, but since I am sort of a laid back dyer (not measuring too precisely), who knows?  BTW . . . both wools were in the same dye pot but the wool on the left ended up much darker.


Here is a close up of the dyed wool on the left.  It is more black as in the previous picture, but you can see it is not just a flat black wool.  I think it will be the perfect wool to add to an antique black background.


I see quite a few people wearing a face mask, but not covering their nose.  I think this cartoon sums it up.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

16 comments:

The Eveningstitcher said...

First of all....I'm laughing my you know what off at that comic.....LMAO!!!! That is hilarious! I have to copy it and send it to my son in SC. He said when people wear masks down there...that exactly how they wear them...mouth covered, nose exposed....LOL!!!! I love how your black wool turned out. They'll both be beautiful backgrounds! Sure with the warmer weather would get here...it's still cold in Michigan!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
I just LOVE how your wool turned out and they will both be so perfect for using in your rugs when you want an antique black background!!!! I used so many different antique blacks in my latest rug and just love how they work together!!! So happy for your results!!!
Take care and hope you have a great week, my friend!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

You find the cutest covid jokes! The antique black is just great!

Sue Swank said...

Your wool turned put great. I'm presently using the black wool fro Rebecca Erb that is slightly different on each side. The pne you talked me into buying at sauder. I love it.
Could you share the dye recipe??

Julia said...

Ahahahah. Yes... cover-up that nose as well, please... lol...
Your antique black turned out nicely. The color always depends on so many factors, the type of wool, the size of the piece of wool, and the water chemicals, etc.

Hugs, Julia

marly said...

Very nice results. Must be a pretty big pot!

I won't be able to keep a straight face when I see an exposed nose.

Prims By The Water said...

Always love the laughter you add to your post. We all can use it. So love the antique solid black. Would be perfect for a prim background. Janice

acorn hollow said...

Love the wool I will have to look that up I have been bleeding wool and putting other pieces in the pot to get over dyed. Love the cartoon I have seen that kind of crazy (the facemask lol)
Cathy

marie said...

I guess that I should of been wearing my mask as my computer screen is spattered with spit from laughing so hard. It will be hard to not laugh when I see this sight.
Great job on the dye job. Black is usually so hard to get right.

Saundra said...

HAR HAR!! Love your example for how to NOT wear the mask. The other pictures were wonderful examples of great projects done well.

P Loebl said...

Could you please share the Antique Black dye formula? I have plenty of wool to dye over.

stitchingnana47@gmail.com said...

Lauren, love the dye job; just what I need for my hair right now! and your tutorial on how to wear a mask is a HOOT! ~ karla

moosecraft said...

Awesome antique black wool! And love the cartoon! :-)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Yummy wool my friend... Every time I get tempted to dye wool, I talk to Cathy and the urge quickly passes LOL. And "oh my heck" is about all I can come up with on the "mask"....some things are, indeed, best covered. ;-)

Jennie in GA said...

Great dye results. I am just too plain old lazy to drag out my stuff and dye. Pitiful. . Your cartoon reminds me of a gal I saw in the store the other day. She was pulling pick up grocery orders, mask and gloves in place. Then she took her gloved hand, pushed her mask down, scratched her nose, replaced mask and kept pulling groceries😝

Unknown said...


Really great information. I always love to read and spread this kind of information that is unique and really informative. Keep up the good work.
Pasture Measurement for Australia