Thursday, September 19, 2019

Honky Tonkin' ~


Franklin, Tennessee, is just south of Nashville, so we spent a day there.  I can't say I'd ever been to a honky tonk.  I learned they were very loud ~ so loud with bands playing you can't even hear yourself think.  They were mostly packed and this was in the middle of the afternoon and already past peak tourist season.

Our first stop was the American Pickers store.  What a tourist trap!  Mostly a souvenir shop, with a few very overpriced antiques.


Also, a few oddities.



I had no idea vintage Tennessee license plates were in the shape of the state.


The same building that housed the above mentioned store, was once home to Marathon Motor Works.  That is a car company I had never heard of.



There are only eight known Marathon cars, and three of them were displayed.



I had no idea there was a full size replica of the Parthenon in Nashville.



Forty two foot high statue of Athena inside.  (The tallest indoor statue in the U.S.)  She is holding a six foot statue of Nike in her upturned palm




Friend Wink jammin' :)


The main reason we went to Nashville was so that she could find another pair of cowboy boots.  She did!


A party bike :)  They actually pedaled it down the main street.


This sign cracked me up.


Our last major stop before heading home to Ohio was to tour the Carter House.  Part of the Battle of Franklin took place on this property.  You can read more here.


 A log cabin on the property.




Another building situated near the main house.  Note all the bullet holes.



It was a great little get away with a dear friend.  She and I go WAY back . . . I actually met her in Spain.  She then spent the school year at Bowling Green State University where I was an undergraduate student and she was pursuing her master's.  Friendships like ours are one in a million and I am thankful to call her friend.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

10 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I love how someone corrected that sign lol.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Am sure you two gals had a blast! Funny, I was watching the show "American Pickers" when the found the Wolf Boy and bought it.

Three Sheep Studio said...

This looks like an amazing trip. It is a gift to go through life with a longtime friend ! Friendships like that are to be treasured ☺️
Rose

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing your world of excitement. My world pales in comparison.
Such friendship is priceless.
Hugs, Julia

WoolenSails said...

Definitely strange things to see, lol.
The log cabin looks fun.

Debbie

Jacqueline said...

Sounds like a fun trip. So glad I am living in this time frame. I like all my creature comforts and time saving devices.

Prims By The Water said...

I had heard that the American Pickers shop was expensive. We wont go to that tourist trap. Never knew about the honky tonks. How fun to go! Janice

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Looks like you had a great trip. Hope you have a great weekend.
Janet

Margaret said...

Looks like a great trip! Glad you had this special time with your friend.

woolwoman said...

I'm just catching up on reading a couple of months of blog posts - I can't believe I've been away so long. Loved your trip log of Tenn. I love that state - I feel I could live there but really feel closer to Ga. as that is my ancestral home on my mom's side of the family. Glad you had a wonderful time. Thanks also for all the Sauder photos. always fabulous to see them. take care Mel