Thursday, July 11, 2019

A Quick Trip ~


We're home from our whirlwind trip to Chicago, about a 600 mile round trip.  We left Tuesday morning and got home late this afternoon.  It's an annual affair taking my grandson Jake to visit his cousins Sophia and Alexis.

Some random pictures in no particular order.

We took a trip to the lakefront north of town to pick up Alexis from Lacrosse camp.  Here's "Joliet" Jake (think Blues Brothers) in front of the Chicago flag.  That hat cracked me up. 


This picture was taken about 3 miles north of the city.


Being the redhead that he is, Jake does not tan so that is him looking all pale and white :)


My niece drove us to the area called the north loop (I think) to see her hubby's office and have lunch.  Sophia, DSO and I decided to take the El (elevated train) back to my niece's.  On the walk to the station, we wandered in to Union Station Railroad Station which opened in 1925.  What a gorgeous edifice.  They sure don't build them like this any longer.  This American flag greeted us as we entered.





 We walked past Willis Tower (aka the Big Willy).


DSO waiting . . . 


. . . and here it is.  A great way to catch glimpses of the city.


Cousins.  Age wise, Jake is between the two girls.


Saturday I have an applique class with Rebekah L. Smith.  Just what I need . . .  another project and this is a big one (at least for me).

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

8 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Jake sure has grown, fun how we have watched each other's grandkids through the years.
I think a class with Rebekkah will be fun and wool projects are usually quicker.

Debbie

acorn hollow said...

you are right they don't build them like that anymore. Jake looks all grown up! Looks like a good trip.
Have fun in your class
cathy

Julia said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip via your blog. I love that building with the glass roof. It looks beautiful.
I agree with the others that Jake has grown so much. It's so good of you to take him to see his cute cousins. It looks like it was a fun trip. I don't think that you need an applique class as your appliques are always so perfect but I know you will enjoy the class.
Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs, Julia

Saundra said...

It has been years since I was in Chicago. That was during the cold freezing winter with feeling searing winds off Lake Michigan as we walked a couple blocks from the hotel to hear Gene Kroupa play.

Looking forward to your big kahuna applique.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
You alway take such fun trips and it was so nice to see some sights of Chicago! I have been there many times, but either driving through or flying so it is nice to get some up close views!! Jake has sure grown up and I love his hat!!! Hope you enjoy your latest class!! Looking forward to seeing updates!!!
Take care and have a great weekend, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Jennie in GA said...

Looks like a lovely trip even if it was hurried. It is special that you make sure that Jake knows his cousins. Family is so important, and nowadays everyone is so spread out. Can’t wait to see what you do at the Rebekah Smith class.

woolwoman said...

just catching up on blog reading - I LOVE your eagle cross stitch piece - and the pumpkin mat - so cute! hope you enjoy the RKSmith class this weekend - Mel

Prims By The Water said...

Been to the Windy city many times and was up in the tower. Not a fun experience sine I am afraid of heights. My friends tricked me into it. Great pics of the cousins all together! Plus that station is awesome looking, and yes they do not make them like that anymore. Janice