Saturday, October 8, 2016

Los Angeles ~

,
Oh, I just don't understand the iPad.  Usually all my photos download from my iPhone to my IPad so I can do a blog post.  Tonight only some of them did.  Then I totally lost the post I started.  ARGH!!!  

So . . . here we go again . . . sigh.

It's so good to be in LA visiting my older son.  It has been way too long since I've seen him.  Today he was able to take us to his current job site.  He works for a high end finish carpentry company.  He is currently working in a mansion of a famous late actress.  It sits on 9 acres on a mountaintop in Beverly Hills.  The have gutted the mansion to the studs.  Very few original details remain which I find very sad.
Here is an original fireplace.  My son Bill gives you an idea as to how big the fireplace is.  The entire room was wood and it all was stripped due to lead based paint.


Fireplace details.




This was referred to as a bottle window.  Each circle looks like the bottom of a pop bottle.  (Or as many of you call it, a soda bottle.). 


Italian tiles outside the front door.



View from the back of the mansion looking at the pool and downtown LA in the distance.


Spanish moss and orchids booming in a little greenhouse.


Fern growing out the side of the greenhouse.

  
Outdoor birdcage probably 10' tall.


From there we headed to the Getty Center (www.getty.edu).




Carved ivory, from the 1500's if I remember correctly.







Cactus gardens.



View to the city.


This is the traffic my son deals with daily.  UGH!


A very cool "tree" made out of rebar.




Little succulent garden.


There was so much more to see, but we ran out of time (and energy . . . lol).

This post has about taken me forever, so I'd best quit while I still have a bit of my sanity.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

15 comments:

Saundra said...

Very interesting photos. While I didn't live in LA, but rather east of San Francisco still had to deal with that California traffic. It was scary with people driving 80 mph and just one car distance apart....if that. No wonder they often have numerous car pile up accidents.

Jo said...

Glad to see you made it to LA! Some great pictures of the mansion. Sad that the original architecture is going! Enjoy the time with your son!

weaverpat said...

How lovely! It looks like a whole other world out there.
Glad you got to visit with your son.
Please keep the wonderful pictures coming our way.

Julia said...

That's a big fireplace. I wonder if the former actress died of lead poisoning... It must be a pain stalking job to restore that fireplace facade.

Thanks for sharing photos from your travels. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Hugs,
Julia

Three Sheep Studio said...

So beautiful and very interesting !
Glad you are enjoying the time with your son.
Rose

village folk art said...

Sorry you are having problems... None the less, the pictures are beautiful. Sadly, although I live East of and relatively close to L.A., I have never had the chance to visit these places. Thanks so much for sharing and you have a handsome son too.

Keep enjoying the day with much Peace for all ... God Bless America!

Barb

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
Your son has quite the job and that house/mansion is amazing! Can't imagine calling that "Home Sweet Home!" Beautiful photos of the Getty Center, too, and though it took forever for you, it was so nice to see each one! Traffic in LA is NOT for the faint of heart! Hope your I Pad and phone get along better today!!
Continued safe travels, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

The Eveningstitcher said...

Great pictures,Lauren.. So glad you had a nice visit with your son...the pictures are great...but that mansion...wow!!!

marly said...

Wow. LA is gorgeous when you're outside of it! I can not imagine workers removing that paint from paneled walls. What a paint in the ass. Beautiful views and home.

Merry Wind Farm said...

Beautiful photos, thanks so much for sharing with us! It looks as though you are having a marvelous time! I could never deal with that traffic, 3 or 4 cars is a traffic jam here in Tipp City:) You haven't mentioned the weather...is it hot out there? Beautiful fall day back here in Ohio. Melinda

Farm Girl said...

Gosh I need to take the time and go to the Getty. I just hate the traffic down there so much.
I love that fireplace. What a work of art that house must have been. I bet it will be when the work is all done. Very cool birdcage. I bet you were tired. You have done so many incredible things so far. Thank you.

WoolenSails said...

You really are keeping busy with fun and unusual places, lots of art and inspiration too.

Debbie

Angela Tucker said...

That mansion is beautiful! I love old architecture. It is sad that it needs to be redone...it will never "really" be the same. I have always wanted a greenhouse. Sigh...

I think it is very special that your son shared this with you...he's a keeper. LOL

Though I love only four hours north of LA, I've never been to the Getty Museum. I need to recruit my sister and head down that way. You are an inspiration!

acorn hollow said...

that fireplace is amazing! you are right how very sad they took out most of the original detail.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Cathy

Jennie in GA said...

Especially enjoyed the photos of the mansion...what an incredible view. Can't begin to imagine that lifestyle!!! Keep having fun and sharing.