Friday, July 24, 2026

Playing catch-up ~

It's so easy falling behind, especially having been gone for 3 days.  I have unpacked, watered and done some deadheading.  Still lots on my list to do.  And of course rather than stay home tomorrow and accomplish more, I am off on a play date with a favorite partner in crime . . . sigh.

Class with Jenny Smallridge of the Wooly Horse was great fun.  Jenny is a true teacher (she actually retired in January from teaching 6th graders) who teaches.  She is not there to just color plan your rug.  She had "lessons" for us each day, offering tips and tricks and showing us examples of what she was talking about.  I had her last year for a scrappy technique class, this year for how to hook a great rug, and I would not hesitate to take her again in the future.

Jenny helping Sue redraw some of her rug to more pleasing/meaningful motifs.


Examples of different colors in her backgrounds to make them more interesting.



A close up from the above rug.


And yet another example.


Lots of fun colors in the corner of the rug she is currently working on.


Her treatment of using what I call reversible black in her background.  I believe calls this wool Blackjack 2.


Jenny has started a 7' x 7' story rug.  The buildings are all part of her past and all the motifs have meaning to her.


How she is working on the design.


I cannot even begin to imagine hooking something that large.  She is a high hooker and that rug will weigh a ton.  She has the perfect spot for it and it will be amazing.

A fun Santa she has hooked and cut out.


Her scrappy American flag.


Isn't he the sweetest?


Her fun labels.



I will leave you with three antique chicken rugs she owns and in the next post will share the class rugs.




Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren 

1 comment:

Acorn Hollow said...

So glad you had a great time. I like the scrappy look.
Cathy