Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Dulling down~

Jenny Smallridge of the Wooly Horse gave us a couple great tips on how to "dull down" wool.  I gave it a try.

Here are the before wools.


And after a dye bath of Cushing's taupe dye.

I forgot to take a before picture, but here are the wools after a tan dye bath.  A much more gold/muddy color.


I hope the next generation of digital phone cameras can see color better!!!

My cherry tomato plant finally has tomatoes.  A volunteer from a friend (thanks Valerie), I should soon have lots of little home grown tomatoes.

That's it for today.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

5 comments:

Saundra said...

Great 'after' wool dye colors. One day soon I hope to pull out my dye pots as I've LOTS of colors I want to overdye.
Last year's volunteer plant produced numerous delicious tomatoes for my salads. This year's volunteer is slowly getting bigger but not even buds yet. So might not get any before cooler weather sets in.

acorn hollow said...

I have dulled wool that way it works quite well.
I have picked a couple of little tomatoes but have a lot green tomatoes i am sure they will all come at once.
Cathy

NMK said...

Will have to tell my friends who dye wool about the Taupe color .....your wools look great !

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your after-dyed wools are beautiful! Your your little 'maters look great.I used to grown several plants "back when" as my husband loved fresh tomatoes. While I love salsa, bruchetta, etc., I can't do fresh tomatoes on a salad or sandwich...so I let go of that tradition. I still like canning fresh tomatoes for soup, chili, etc., but since that involves a volume I'm not prepared to take on, those are purchased...when and if....

Julia said...

I love both, the before and after toned down dyed wool colors. The top ones look more like fall colors.
I have some cherry tomatoes that are slowly ripening and have started pickling cucumbers.

Take care and stay safe.
Hugs, Julia