Wednesday, August 7, 2019

But It's a Dry Heat :)


Dry or not, 111* is H-O-T.  Kind of like sitting in an oven hot.  My son says when the hot wind is blowing, they call that the "hair dryer effect".


Long post here . . . but I must catch up before heading to August adventure #2 early tomorrow.

I have to tell you about my TSA experience.  I randomly got the TSA pre-check, but knew my carry on would be flagged.  I wrap the pumpkin rolls in aluminum foil, and they always pull the bag aside.

TSA:  I need a bag check.
Me:  There are pumpkin rolls in there.
TSA:  I need to check them.
Me:  OK.
TSA:  Do you always travel with pumpkin rolls?
Me:  Only when I am visiting my son :)

I had a wonderful visit.  It was so nice to spend a few days with him, hot or not.  Our first little adventure was to Goodsprings, home to the Pioneer Saloon.  




The oldest drinking establishment in Southern Nevada has been operating since 1913.  Disclaimer:  Card sharks are shot on site.  Horse thieves are hung out back.  Street girls bringing cowboys into the saloon must pay for the room in advance . . . lol :)

Old tin walls are original with bullet holes where in 1915 a card shark was shot to death for cheating at cards, ruled a justifiable homicide.  One room is dedicated to Clark Gable and Carole Lombard.  The area is near where Carole died in a plane crash in 1942.  Clark sat at the bar for several days burning holes into the bar top waiting news of his wife's fate. 


On our way back to the city, we stopped at Seven Magic Mountains.  I'm sorry.  I thought it was butt ugly and the darn thing cost $3.5 MILLION.  How is that even possible?



I prefer these cairns and I'm sure they didn't cost a dime :)


That evening we headed to the Strip.  He wanted to show me a couple of the big projects he had worked on when he first moved to Las Vegas and of course I wanted to stop in the Bellagio to see the Chihuly glass flowers and to catch the fountain show.




Fremont Street.  What can you say?  I love going down there to watch the street performers and to see the overhead light show.  Never a dull moment down there.  Unfortunately I just took videos of the performers and I can't seem to get a video to load, but I was able to get a few screenshots.


Some things you just can't unsee :(


This Michael Jackson impersonator must have been only 6 or 7 years old, but he was phenomenal.




The last day there, we decided to head out to Mt. Charleston, not far from the city.  It's hard to believe the temperatures at the higher elevations are about 30* cooler than in Las Vegas. We were going to hike a little near Mary Jane Falls.   We were not planning to go to the falls since Bill thought there would be no water flowing, but a few hikers said that their indeed was some and it was worth the hike.  The trail travels for 1/4 mile through tall Ponderosa pines, white fir, aspen and mountain mahogany.  The next 1/3 mile is a slow ascent after which the trail begins a series of switchbacks and rock steps to the base of the falls.  Let me tell you, it was over a 1.5 mile hike to the top and a tough climb for this old broad, but I did it :)  DON'T LET THE OLD LADY IN.


Hard to believe there is still some snow on the mountains.


Bill said he had to take a picture of me with the falls in the background to prove that I was not a wuss :)


Wild columbine?


Kids!  When my back was turned, Bill scaled up here giving his mom near heart failure when I saw him up there.


Coming down.



My grandkitty, Snowball.  She's not fat, she's fluffy.


Bill chose sushi for his birthday dinner.  (I still can't believe he will be 40 tomorrow.)  A first for me, and also the first time I attempted chopsticks.  The sushi was pretty good and I managed to eat without dropping more than a few grains of rice.

It's always hard to say goodbye but he is where he wants to be and what more could a mom ask for than a child's happiness?

If you've made it this far, thank you.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What a fun trip with your son, lots of interesting and unique sights, lol.
I cannot imagine being in that heat, but with humidity, it is truly like being in an oven.

Debbie

Simply Quaint said...

Hello welcome home, not as hot here but feels it with humidity..lol...my son and family live in Vegas, not by choice, my son truly truly hates it, he can not wait to come home to ohio...He is military so he is stationed there...I went to visit last July I said who truly would pick to live there by choice is nuts, and millions do, it’s so overly populated....by 8 am it was close to 90 degrees you seriously become a cellar dweller lol...I love my back porch and sitting outside enjoying the days, when my son and grandson came home, I swear my son practically slept on the back porch lol...

So glad that you got to visit your son though and go site seeing, we did a few things too when I was there, we’re not gamblers so that was not interesting .........

Happy 40 to your son !

Have fun in millersburg......

Hugs
Rhonda

acorn hollow said...

What a fun adventure for you and your handsome son. I have never been there but 111 makes me cringe.
cathy

Julia said...

I would like to see the breakdown price on those painted rocks/ mountains. What a ridiculous price for butt ugly.
You poor thing, to be subjected to that ridiculous site that you can't unsee, lol.
All in all, it looks like a wonderful trip minus the temperature. Wow, that's hot.
Happy belated birthday to your son.
Hugs, Julia

Saundra said...

OMG, so much I want to comment on and will probably forget something. It was also a drier heat in where I lived in CA and we didn't have A/C but no problem. What was worse was coming back home to Delawre heat with humidity. The hideous rocks appears to be typical govt at work where someone knows someone and scratching backs to get overpaid projects.

Farm Girl said...

Wow!! What a fun trip! I am so glad you had fun there. Gosh, it hasn't even been 111 this year.
It is sure pretty though. So glad you had fun.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
You described the temperature exactly!!! It was actually 116 in Phoenix this past week!! Plus we are also getting higher humidity! Fun times......NOT!!!! lol
So happy you had a good trip and looks like you did a bit of everything!!! I'm sure you saw LOTS OF CRAZY, too!! Seems people will do just about anything for money and attention!!
I don't even know what to say about those colored rocks!!!!!!
Hope Bill had a wonderful Birthday and I'm sure the best part was having you there!!!
Take care and enjoy your next adventure!!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Jennie in GA said...

Lots of fun adventures. Isn’t it funny how kids will always be kids, never mind the age. Not sure I could’ve done the heat. Glad you had fun with your boy. Now on to the next adventure.

marly said...

The only thing magical about those seven mountains is that they got millions of bucks to disappear. Looks like a great trip, hot or not. I can't see very well and thought your trail was 15 miles. Took me a while to stop gasping but I did when I put my readers on and saw the decimal point. Hope your next adventure is a kick!

The Eveningstitcher said...

Sounds like you had a great trip!! I don't think I could l have made that hike!! All those mornings on the treadmill are paying off for you!!! I hope your son enjoyed the pumpkin rolls!

Prims By The Water said...

I so love sushi! Happy birthday to your son! Good for you walking up the trail. Bob's 2 uncles live in Vegas, so I knew about the dry heat. Glad you had a great time visiting with your son. janice

woolwoman said...

I sent the card like you requested - I hope he got many ! looks like a fun trip - H O T !!!!! too hot and I agree - it's HOT ! Hope you're next adventure on the bike is good and safe too. Mel

Kent said...

Now rug cleaning has become one of the services offered by many companies because people today tend to get more busy and don’t have time to face this simple things. Your blogs about it author was really good!