Sunday, November 24, 2019

Cook is a Four Letter Word ~


Good day, dear readers.  So hard to believe that it is almost Thanksgiving and the end of yet another month.  I hate that Thanksgiving is so late, but I will just need to make the best of it.


I have not cooked Thanksgiving dinner in MANY years, probably close to 25.  My brother's DSO always does and a feast it is.  Sadly, this year she is "home" because her mother is ill.  My brother is on his way to be with her.  My heart breaks for her because I know how hard it is.  Please keep her in your prayers.

So I have been busy planning the menu, researching recipes, grocery shopping, cleaning for a houseful of overnight company, etc.  The really good news is that my Las Vegas son will be home for a few days.  That was unanticipated.  Usually airfare at Thanksgiving is outrageous, but a few weeks ago he stumbled upon a great deal.  My family is very small, so I cherish spending time with family members.  My brother and DSO will be missed.

Not much hooking has been going on, but did get the outside row hooked so I can start on the hit and miss background.  Ignore the oval line on the pattern.  I guess that was in case you wanted an oval rug.


I also changed one of the flowers.  I just wasn't happy with it.  

Before . . .


After . . .


I've also been working on a little cross stitch piece, but not much is done.

I just have to share what I bought.  I really don't have a good place for it but hopefully can squeeze it in the upstairs bath.  An antique bidet.  Not something I would normally buy, but for for $20 could not resist.  I am a sucker for a bargain :)


Porcelain bowl.  I'm amazed it survived for so many years.


Maker's mark.  I did a little research and this mark is from 1874-1909.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

14 comments:

NMK said...

An Antique bidet !!!! That is pretty nest & made by the china company !
Love your rug you are working on !
Hope you & your family have a Wonderful Thanksgiving !!!!

Saundra said...

WOW!!!!! $20 is a steal. Your rug looks like it has been steamed already. Beautiful work.

Prims By The Water said...

What an awesome find Lauren. I also do like the redo of the flower too. YOur rug is looking good. Good luck making dinner. I have not made Thanksgiving dinner in forever either. My sister does this holiday, and I do Christmas and Easter. Much easier doing a ham than a turkey. Janice

Jennie in GA said...

I know how much work it is, but once you are into it, having your family is going to be so much fun!! So sorry about your almost SIL’s mother. It is so hard to say goodbye or see them declining. My mom has been gone for 12 years now, and there are so many things that I would love to share with her. Like the change you made in your flower. And love your bidet!! You find the best stuff!

Diane Walker said...

I love that piecefor $20. I would have bought it too!

acorn hollow said...

Happy thanksgiving so glad you son will be home but so sorry about your brothers DSO it is so hard.
You will do fine with dinner it is a lot of work though
happy thanks giving
Cathy

marly said...

What a find. And bargain!! You always manage to find them. I like the change in the flower. You can always go out to eat and just have deserts at home!

Julia said...

I'm sure your Thanksgiving dinner will be fantastic and what a blessing to have your family at your home, even though it's a lot of work.
Your rug is beautiful and the colors are so well balanced.
What a sweet little bidet for only $20.
A customer of my husband raises turkeys and gave us a humongous fresh turkey yesterday. Christmas is a month away. I don't have room in my little freezer... What am I going to do? lol. I'll be turkeyed out for Christmas...
Hugs, Julia

woolwoman said...

Hope your thanksgiving meal turns out OK. You can always order sides from this place and that place or grocery stores etc. You always have the neatest antique finds. Fun photos from the rug workshop in Maryland. I can't believe that woman sitting on the floor is 100 or more. I can even get on the floor! take care Mel

Mugwump Woolies said...

Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving in the making! Love the re-hooked flower...more colorful. Twenty four years ago we lost my MIL unexpectedly after Thanksgiving dinner at our house. We've moved forward, made new memories...especially for Annie who remembers every detail of that sad day. Despite it all, we enjoy the day and are grateful for all our many blessings.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving...enjoy your family and friends!
R

WoolenSails said...

I usually cook the dinner with my allergies, but not really fun since I can't make things like I used to.
I like the changes, much more prim now. And, a beautiful find and price, can imagine it would be fun to repurpose.

Debbie

moosecraft said...

Well now...that bidet would be a great place to hold woolly worms while hooking?! :-)
Thanksgiving dinners just seem to come together now matter the planning and worrying...enjoy the good! :-)

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

What a great find!! Love all the hooking. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Margaret said...

So sorry about DSO;s mother. OK, I have to ask finally: what does DSO stand for? lol! No idea! Hope the cooking went well for Thanksgiving. We had a good one, just the family, kids home. It's nice when family can make it home. The bidet -- wow! So how could you use it?? It looks so delicate! Is it low to the ground? lol!