Friday, June 28, 2019

Invasion of the Spiderworts ~


Doesn't that sound like a cheesy horror flick from the 50's?  Spiderwort is pretty, but another one of those uber invasive plants I have in my yard.  I have two different shades of purple.  The flowers close up in the evening, and when finished blooming, get very scrappy looking.  I just read if you cut them back to 8" - 12", they may bloom again.  Usually I cut them to the ground so may have to try the more conservative approach this year.


My jungle :)





I've always loved daisies.


Still not much hooking going on, but I did hook these sunflowers.  I forgot to take better pictures before I took them to guild.  They are a couple more door prizes for our Hooktoberbest hook in this October.  The flower on the right is very washed out, while the one on the left is close to the true colors.  



Hopefully I will get something inspiring on my frame soon!

Thanks so much for stopping by. 
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

9 comments:

marly said...

Beautiful blue color. I don't do perennials because of our soil. Did have giant daisies once and they grew very well for a few years. Then croaked.

Julia said...

Your spiderworts are pretty but invasive like my lungworts. I decided to pull them out of one flowerbed. It started with one serendipity plant and it overtook my Asiatic lilies. They look terrible after they bloom.

Your springy sunflowers are so lovely. I'm sure they will be a bit hit at the fall hook-in because everyone loves sunflowers.
Enjoy the weekend. It a long weekend for us because of Canada Day on July 1st.
Take care, hugs, Julia

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
Who came up with that name?? Such a pretty flower to have such a scary name!! I am always amazed by you lovely garden!! Your hooked sunflowers are so pretty, too, and I'm sure they will make some ladies very happy!!
Have a great weekend, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Three Sheep Studio said...

Spiderwort is beautiful. I have purple and a fuschia pink.
Loving your sunflowers ☀️
Rose

acorn hollow said...

I hate spiderwort!!! I have been digging them out of my garden they have taken over yes they have a sweet bloom but they flatten out and make a mess. I have white and purple.
Not much hooking here either
cathy

Sue Swank said...

I didn't realize spiderwort are invasive. I've got them in two spots. one in full shade that are about 18" tall. I like them. The other is part sun, they are about 3 feet tall, and not as pretty. Not pretty at all.

Prims By The Water said...

I love my spiderwort and it blooms all Summer for me here. Mine also is not invasive. Still two plants the way I planted them. Maybe because I am further North. Love your Sunflowers! Janice

Margaret said...

I'm not a gardener so I enjoy seeing anyone else's garden who is one. lol! Who knew spiderwort was invasive? I wish it would invade my lawn. lol! Love the sunflowers!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, I am just completely perplexed. I happen to love spiderwort...but it is anything BUT invasive here. I planted 3 plants years and years ago around our pool...and only 1 comes back consistently.... Every year I faithfully replace the other two, and every year, to the same avail. And, no, you don’t need to remind me of the definition of insanity. Love the sunflowers...so cleverly finished on the bed springs! ~Robin~