Sunday, September 23, 2018

Applique Finish ~


I finally have an applique finish to share with you.  This House Sewing Caddy was started last month in a class with Rebekah L. Smith. 

 
I chose the 1884 date because that is the year my maternal grandmother Johanna was born.  If I had been blessed with a girl, she would have been named after her.

 
On the back I added a little stick to allow it to hang flat. 

 
I cleaned out a closet filled with craft supplies, books, rug patterns and much junk.  It is amazing how much room I now have.  Some stuff will go to hooking guild on Wednesday to be given away, but was wondering if anyone was interested in these items.  I always thought this very nicely done crochet piece would make a great pillow for a sunporch, sitting on a wicker chair.  The crochet piece is just over 12" x 14".  It is not attached to the brown fabric, but that is how I got it, though I haven't a clue when or where :)

 
A few years ago I learned of toothbrush rugs and thought I would give it a try.  After one unsuccessful attempt, I know I will never try again.  It is a technique using strips of cotton fabric.  There are two booklets and the tool. 


If anyone is interested in either of these items, shoot me any email with freebie in the subject line and I will be happy to send.  If not, they will also go to guild on Wednesday.
 
Happy Sunday.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

15 comments:

Saundra said...

I should start purging again too. But it gets so overwhelming just cleaning up my wool room, lol.

Julia said...

Hi my sweet hooking friend. It's been a long while since I've sent a comment on blogs. You deserve to be the first... I've been reading the Reading List once in a while but that's about it. I've been decluttering my stuff too and so far I've delivered very three full loads of my SUV to the Salvation Army. I'm still at it. I decluttered two large full garbage bags of hooking wool. I would never be able to hook all that wool in a lifetime.

I love your little hanging caddy. I bet your grandma is smiling from above.

I'm retiring from working at the farm at the end of November as I can't see myself going through another cold winter working in the cold at my age. This decision is non-negotiable...

I got myself a new smart iPhone and I'm learning how to use it.
We are getting frost advisory alerts for the morning this week.

Enjoy yourself to the full.
Hugs, Julia

Linda said...

I just love your wool piece So very pretty. Thanks for sharing

linda m

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful memory with your grandmother, and an awesome finish. Love all of the colors. I need to declutter my attic before Bob throws everything out. Janice

Merry Wind Farm said...

Dear Lauren, I love your Rebecca piece, have you decided how you will use it? Or are you going to hang it somewhere and just let it look pretty?? I have all of her books, and even ordered the liquid cement she used for boxes, but have never managed to make anything. I am however, actually going to finish the Maggie B rug! I would love the have the pineapple piece, if it is not already spoken for. I just came in from mowing the pasture. It is a shame all that lush grass isn't feeding horses! Melinda

acorn hollow said...

I need to do a clean out also soon! love your Rebecca piece.
cathy

WoolenSails said...

Love how your caddy came out, I really need to start making some wool pieces that I have put off.
I need to purge too, so hard to decide what to get rid of, don't want to regret it later, lol.

Debbie

Margaret said...

What a beautiful finish! I love wool applique. So gorgeous!

Saundra said...

OMG,, forgot to tell you how much I like your applique. Guess I'm just now recovering from being brain dead from too much fun at rug camp.

village folk art said...

Beautiful job and I love your idea of adding the stick to the back. Hope this comment makes it. Google is in control, not me!
Have a great week.

Enjoy with Peace for all,
Barb

Farm Girl said...

I have tooth brush patterns to and tried it and never tried it again. I love that applicae. What a wonderful job you did.
I need to clean out my shelves and stuff. I bet I have it all scattered in every room in the house.
Have a lovely day.

woolwoman said...

just catching up Lauren ! your Rebekah Smith finish is lovely. Love the bee pin pillow your friend made you. SWEET ! I think your goldenrod dyeing is wonderful - hope you find good things to use it for. Have a great week - hope fall has come to you - Mel

The Eveningstitcher said...

Your finish is beautiful! I still have to finish mine....I started a rug...started a cross stitch design for a friend...Oh boy....I'm way behind. I told my husband I need to rent a dumpster to get all the stuff out of my wool room! It's awful! Good that you are parting with things you don't use....see you in a couple of weeks...I can't wait for Sauder!!!

Raymond Homestead said...

Like the caddy and I especially like the reason for the date, perfect touch!

Sweet Sue said...

such a sweet little caddy finish lauren, great for traveling too, congrats!