Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Men's Ties ~

 


I hope this day finds you well and happy and enjoying life!  Weather in Ohio (and many other places) is less than ideal, but it is early May and we must deal with it often.  Just drizzly enough to prevent yard work (is that a bad thing?), so hopefully I will get a few more loops pulled today.

I got together with my brother's significant other last week.  She mentioned my brother FINALLY cleaned out his ties.  
Me:  What are you doing with the ties (as my ears perk up)?
Lyn:  They are going to the thrift store.
Me:  Can I have them?
Lyn:  With a very puzzled look on her face . . . sure.

I assumed I would be getting a dozen or so ties.  She gave me this.


Fifty+ ties, some silk, some polyester.


At Rug Week at Sauder Village in 2019, there was this little rug I had taken a picture of that I thought was very cool.

A close up of the edge.


I will make something similar for Lyn's birthday.  I know it will be much appreciated!

Adios, mis amigas y amigos.
Gracias for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

10 comments:

Sue Swank said...

That's pretty cool. Your mind must always be working on, what can I do next.

acorn hollow said...

Oh I thought you were going to dye with them but I think I like that better! very cute!
Cathy

Quayceetatter said...

How were the ties attached to the back?? Neat idea.


Saundra said...

I thought the same thing as Cathy about dyeing (marrying) them with wool but guess not. Did you notice that the Sauder rug (I think) used some of the ties to hook in the rug too? So does this mean you really ARE up to textile challenges after all????? Can't wait to see what you do with the ties.

Prims By The Water said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Am happily eating my chips and homemade salsa right now. Great idea for a rug! Janice

Olde Dame Holly said...

Gosh, I didn't even know it was Cinco de Mayo. It isn't celebrated much here but Diez y Seis de Septiembre is. Myself, I am always ready for Mexican food! I think those ties will look super around the rug you make for your brother. They remind me of prairie points.

Angela Tucker said...

Oh. My. What a great idea! Honestly, as soon as you said some were silk...my mind was "what silk"? What could I do with that? LOL Weather here has been in the 90s. I work in the yard early then hide in the house for the rest of the day. This morning is cooler than usual, so I'm thinking a bit of baking is on the list. Have a great day!

Julia said...

You have more ambition than me. What will you do with the rest of the ties as this project only uses a wee bit of the ties?

The only place those ties would end up would be at a thrift store also. My husband has a lot of ties he no longer wears anymore and they will probably end up there. I've seen a beautiful handbag made of ties and a colorful ottoman cover and a quilt. Some people are very creative.

Good luck with your project.
Hugs, Julia

Jennie in GA said...

That’s a really cute idea. Reminds me of something our friend Julia would do.

joanm7 said...

Thanks for the tip on using ties that way, such a neat look and a lot easier than sewing "tongues" to edge a mat. I have a bunch of ties and just cutting that part off won't affect the usefulness of the rest of the tie for dyeing. Thanks again.