Monday, February 25, 2019

Beware ~



A couple months ago, I got this dire warning on my computer that I must call Microsoft immediately because there was a problem with someone using my IP address.  I was pretty sure it was a scam so I immediately shut down and when I restarted all was well.  I didn't think any more about it.  Saturday a similar incident occurred.  This time I got this recording over and over again that I was not to restart or shut down and to call them.  Once again I was sure it was a scam so I shut down, restarted, and shut down again.  This time I could not turn off the message and my computer was completely locked.  This is what was on my monitor.


I called the Geek Squad since my computer is from Best Buy and my virus software was originally purchased there with the computer, though they had changed virus companies.  I don't quite understand, but this adware (they also referred to it as 1-800-viruses) I picked up is not something that the virus software catches.  It was explained to me, but since I am technologically challenged, I didn't quite understand.  Luckily I did not call the "Microsoft" number because what they do is get your permission to remotely access your computer, and basically charge you a ransom to unlock it.  WTH???  Anyway, over 8 yards of bolt wool later (for you non hookers, $200+), Best Buy got me back up and running and protected for a year.  Plus they tweaked my PC so it is running a little faster.  It may sound legit, but DON'T believe it.

My houseguest is supposed to be leaving today, but DSO's flight from San Francisco has already been delayed for 4 hours.  Hopefully it will not be delayed any further.  

Each morning the girls get a dental treat and they run to the same spot in the dining room.  Ernestine always sticks her little pug butt in the air while eating hers.  Cracks me up :)


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

7 comments:

Farm Girl said...

So this is scary. because I was visiting blogs on Saturday morning. I clicked on someones blog and that same things showed up. I didn't know what it was and since I have all of my virus stuff up to date I didn't think about it anymore.
I will run my virus scan now.
How really weird. I am glad you got the problem fixed.
That is such a cute picture of Earnestine.
Thanks for letting us know.

acorn hollow said...

yikes why oh why do they do that crap!!!
I hope DSO gets home soon safe and sound
Cathy

Julia said...

I'm glad that you didn't fall for their trick.
It happened to me before but it was not a Microsoft warning. I opened a recipe site. It got a red alert that my computer was infected with worm virus and I needed to call a certain number. Instead, I did like you and shut off my computer and called my son in law and he knew it was just a scam. I turned on my computer back on and the warning was gone.

CLW takes cleaning her teeth very seriously. Too cute.
Take care, Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Giggling at that cute butt in the air! Never heard of this scam. I too have paid for the Geek Squad and virus protection. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ugh...they just don’t give up, do they?! Always a new twist...but always the same crap.... If only these people who are intelligent enough to come up with these scams applied their talents to something useful and honest, the world would be such a better place. A niece of mine had something similar happen a few years ago and she allowed remote access to her pc....she called me later, but it was too late...and she spent months trying to undo the damage. Love little E’s puggle butt! Hope DSO makes it home safe and soon. Seems like a flight that goes as scheduled is the exception rather than the rule these days. Robin

marly said...

Good thing I don't eat my chocolate treats like that. It looks like fun, but would not be for the people around me.

Margaret said...

Very scary on the computer! Glad the Geek Squad could help you out. Love the butt sticking up -- so cute! Hope DSO got home safe and sound and with no more delays.