Thursday, May 24, 2018

Dealing with the Government ~


 
Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE this Country, but sometimes dealing with the bureaucracy can make one crazy.   

Case in point #1 ~ Medicare "Wellness Visit". 
 
If you are enrolled in Medicare Part B, you qualify for an annual no cost Wellness Visit.  And I quote from the doctor's office paperwork.  "This is a chance to meet with a member of our health care team to talk about your history, your risk for certain diseases, the current state of your health and your plan for staying well."  And further "The Annual Wellness Visit in not an appointment for refilling your medications, discussing existing conditions or addressing new or immediate health problems.  Addressing those additional items during an Annual Wellness Visit would require a longer visit and separate charges would apply."  The questionnaire asked if I was depressed, felt anxious, hopeless.  Do I need help eating, dressing, with laundry, housekeeping, etc?  Get the idea?  Thankfully I was able to talk with the doctor about the arm pain, but I could not have the x-ray he ordered done the same day.  ARGH!

Case in point #2 ~ Social Security

I receive a government pension because I retired from city government.  I also qualify for Social Security because I worked enough quarters in the public sector.  The State of Ohio is one of only a handful of states that penalizes you for receiving a government pension.  My Social Security is reduced by 2/3.  (Shouldn't a federal program have the same rules nationwide?)  Good thing I don't smoke because after my Medicare payment is made, what's left is less than the cost of a carton of cigarettes :)
I have been trying since last September 5 to get an issue resolved.  One form, and only one form, needs to be properly processed.  I have spent many hours at the local office and made countless phone calls trying to get it taken care of.   Recently one of the employees of the local Social Security office told me I should contact my local congressman for help.  WTH???  I told them that was unacceptable and it was not my job but theirs.  Still not taken care of and they owe me about 6 months of my piddly benefits.  I would just like this resolved.  Come on.  We are coming up on 9 months of dealing with this.  Can it really be that difficult?
 
Okay.  Rant over.  I hope everyone is looking forward to the holiday weekend. 
 
Thanks for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

13 comments:

marly said...

Yes, this is unacceptable. But long ago an idiot made it impossible to fire government workers and therefore, there is no incentive to do their job well, or for that matter, at all.

Jacqueline said...

I am sorry for your frustration..I am dealing with contractors on a home improvement project and am running into the same brick walls you are.

acorn hollow said...

holy hell now you make me scared to retire. that appointment makes no sense to me. I have a cousin that worked as a fire fighter in Maine in one of their larger cities and their rule is they can not draw ss If they take the state retirement.
crazy
Cathy

Julia said...

I'm sorry for your predicament Lauren. I'd be frustrated too. Is there an ombudsman that could help you sort this out? Are you on Facebook? Maybe someone is having the same problem as you. I hope that they can resolve this soon for you.

Life is slowly returning to almost normal but I'm still in clean-up mode. I'm almost done the basement but ran into some mechanical problem with my equipment. I'll try again today. I ran my dishwasher for the first time yesterday and I'm doing mountains of laundry today. It's back to the basement until it's done.
Hugs, Julia

Saundra said...

I'm sure you are frustrated and I would be too. My son hasn't worked since September and cannot get his issues resolved with the employer, workman's comp, and now a lawyer. He needs surgery but workman's comp won't pay. So he is also banging his head against a brick wall like you. Hope you both get the issues resolved soon.

Curtains in My Tree said...

Rant excepted
Yes looking forward to 3 days off from work

Three Sheep Studio said...

I hope this miraculously clears up for you. How can something so simple end up being so difficult ? We are not reinventing the wheel ! Everything is so ‘over thought’ these days.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend !
Rose

Farm Girl said...

It really sounds like a boondoggle. I am not looking forward to this one little bit. You are in Ohio. I just can't even imagine what crazy California will be.
I do hope you can get this resolved.

Margaret said...

Nothing is easy anymore, is it? Sorry you are experiencing all this kerfuffle. :(

Prims By The Water said...

Oh I agree Lauren...govt is a mess. Hope you get your issues resolved and also have a nice weekend! Janice

Leonora said...

Oh gosh, it's enough to make you crazy! The gov't has all these wonderful benefits in place for folks, but actually getting them is like pulling teeth. We fought via red tape for over a year to get my mom some benefits she was due. They finally issued a check and we received it in the mail...the day after she died.

JustGail said...

I tried to call the 1-800 line for social security to see what it would take to get Dad's address changed In December. When he died in February, I called the "local "Davenport IA office to see if it was possible to get any statements from the last month sent to me. In both instances I got absolutely NO help, just snotty shitty arrogant attitude from them. When I asked about getting tax forms.... I still get upset thinking about it, and still don't know how to get those forms for filing tax return. If it weren't for mail forwarding by postal system, he'd have gotten no mail from them the last 5 months of his life.

Little Julie said...

Lauren, definitely call your local congressman. Many years ago, just after I was widowed, my kids were on the PA child health insurance plan. My little one was facing possible surgery and they began giving me the run around. My frustration during this difficult time was the last thing I needed and I turned to my local congressman. I called expecting the same thing...no help. I was shocked when just a few days later I received a call telling me to go ahead and schedule the surgery, with my child's pediatrician, all was approved. I couldn't believe it! One call and he was able to resolve weeks of phone calls and ridiculous responses. Do it, make the call, what have you got to lose? The rep's secretary is usually very nice and a voter is a voter!