Friday, September 15, 2017

A Handy Dandy Hooking Tip ~


Ever have a piece of linen that just isn't quite big enough to attach to your frame?  Need a little extra room in order to hook that last row or two?  I know you can sew a piece of fabric to your linen to allow you to use it, but if you don't want to drag your sewing machine out, this is the perfect solution.  Head to your lingerie drawer and find an old knee high nylon or pair of pantyhose.  Cut it up like this.
 

Attach it to your linen every couple inches and then to your gripper strips.  Voila :)  You would not believe how taut it will hold your backing fabric.  Thanks, Connie Bradley ~ Wool Yankers ~ for this tip.  And the best part, just remove them from the linen to use again and again.
 
 
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

16 comments:

Three Sheep Studio said...

Brilliant !
I love easy ;)
Rose

Jo said...

Thanks for the tip, I have not tried that. I've always sewed strips of fabric on the edge. Your pumpkin looks great too, love your colors!!

village folk art said...

Ohhh, how great is this??? and so is your pumpkin. I just may need to use this idea, when get back to hooking. Have not given up on the idea, too much inspiration for that.
Have a happy and fun weekend,
Folk art hugs too, Barb

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
What a brilliant idea!!! Just goes to show that there is always a use for something!! Maybe that is why I have such a hard time throwing anything out!!! lol
Your pumpkin is wonderful, by the way!!
Enjoy your weekend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

NMK said...

Wow !!! What a Great idea !!! Thank you !!!!

Carolyn said...

I knew there had to be a better use for those things than stretching them over my body. Loved the idea....thanks. That pumpkin is down right cute as a button.

kelley said...

wonderful pumpkin Lauren...great idea for those who don't have 2 sewing machines always at the ready...plus I haven't owned pantyhose in over 20 years!

Saundra said...

Seriously? They really are that strong? While it might work very well think that since I already have my sewing machine sitting up just waiting I'd opt to do the quicker sew a cotton strip around the edges.

Unknown said...

Very clever!

sue viall said...

Omg. Great

Jacqueline said...

Great tip. Now if I just remember it when I need it.

Unknown said...

I see how you looped it down at the bottom. Very clever! I am always trying to make good use of linen. I usually get a coaster or an ornament or two onto a piece.

Farm Girl said...

I have learned more things from you about hooking. This is genus!!! I can't wait to try it! Thank you.

jody said...

Super idea! I always dread having to sew on extra fabric when needed, this is a great tip! And i have always loved your pumpkin colors! Cant wait to start another hooking project!! Enjoy!

moosecraft said...

Genius! Thanks for sharing!

Prims By The Water said...

What an awesome idea. TFS Janice