Saturday, April 24, 2021

Playing in the Dye Pots ~

I believe the #1 rule when dyeing wool is to wear rubber gloves.  You'd think by now I would have learned that lesson.  I am just a slow learner . . . and have the stained fingers to prove it.

Here are the wools before dyeing.  I did have a few smaller pieces, some recycled, that are not shown.


As always, I was not able to capture the richness of the dyed wool.

Taco Bean Red, a pot of dark (bottom two wools) and a pot of light (top three wools) from the Barbara Carroll/Emma Lou Lais dye book (my favorite!).  


Bottom wool was a formula from the same dye book, Turquoise Spark.  The top wool was from another dye book I have not had good luck with.  The wool is pretty, but it was supposed to be a dark mossy green.  


Emma Lou's Putty (old) is one of my favorite dye formulas. The wool on the left used the amount of dye called for.  On the right, I used half again the amount.  Surprisingly, there is not much difference.
 

I had some dye left over from a previous dye session.  Though this color is pleasing, it is nowhere near what I expected.  The formula was called Emma Lou's Hunter.  


Overall, I love the colors I came up with, but could probably never duplicate them.  I try to measure accurately, but don't always succeed.

If you would like to see some amazing cross stitch finishes, hop on over to Angela's blog.  She also has the greenest thumb around.  She often posts pictures of the flowers in her yard.  Not only are the flowers beautiful, so is her photographic ability.  Plus she has the sweetest little furbaby, Jack Jack.  You won't be sorry you paid her a visit.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

15 comments:

Julia said...

Those colors are gorgeous. I miss playing in the dye pot. It always felt like Christmas morning when I took the wool out of the dye pot.

I visited your blogger friend's post. Wow, she's a prolific cross stitcher and her flowers are beautiful.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Julia

Olde Dame Holly said...

What beautiful hues! I have never had much luck with dyeing cloth. It seems more a science than an art, and I am not good at fiddly recipes where temperatures and amounts matter! But you have such a talent! I visited your friend Angela's blog. What an interesting blog, but I could not figure out how to follow it!

Sue Swank said...

The colors look beautiful. It's been a long time since I've dyed wool. Might have to try it again.

moosecraft said...

Such beautiful woolens! I think I like them ALL! lol!
I visited Angela's blog and love all of the flowers and stitches! Thanks for sharing!

acorn hollow said...

That dye book is my favorite too I also have one from vermont rugs I like. I think your colors are wonderful!!!
Cathy

Saundra said...

Wonderful success in the dye pots. Think I've used that Taco Bean recipe before, or at least the name sounds really familiar. Love the Turquoise Spark.

NMK said...

Oh your wools look so pretty !!!!
I visited Angela's blog too ...... beautiful cross stitching & gardens & cute Pup !!!

Prims By The Water said...

WOW those colors are amazing! Am not much of a green person, but even those are gorgeous! Janice

Angela Tucker said...

Oh...you are so sweet to mention my blog. Thank you so much. I love to share! I totally get the "I should have worn gloves" sentiment. I cannot tell you how many times I've sprayed a wood object and told myself that I won't get any on my fingers. Since I usually use dark colors, like black and green, it is always noticeable for a few days. LOL And paint from spray cans cannot be rinsed off. Your wool is fabulous!! I use walnut stain for my stitching and nope, mine never look the same. You would think that after 35 years in food service I would be able to follow a recipe. LOL LOL LOL Have a great week.

WoolenSails said...

Those came out beautiful but my favorite is the green. I really need to do some dying this summer, I have a box of yardage, so I need to see what I need the most and get to work.

Debbie

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

They all look great! Was invited to a dying party and it was so much fun.

Farm Girl said...

Now that I am not on Jury Duty, I hope to get back to normal. I love your colors! I never remember gloves either. I always wonder how people can get the same colors over and over, I never do.
Its so nice to see what you have been doing.
Have a lovely day.

Laura said...

Beautiful dyed wool Lauren!!

Laura said...

Beautiful dyed wool Lauren!!

Laura said...

Beautiful dyed wool Lauren!!