Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tricia Travis Class ~



Tricia Travis was my teacher at the Great Lakes Rug Hooking Retreat.  That is her on the far right.  If the name sounds familiar, her business is Country Gatherings and if you are a member of ATHA (Association of Traditional Rug Hooking Artists), she is the current president.  Tricia is just sweet as can be.  She is probably best known for her postcard rugs, rugs she has adapted from antique postcards.  They are WONDERFUL but most of them need to be hooked in a narrow cut and that is just not me.


The pattern I chose to hook is Antique Floral, designed by Payton Primitives and sold through Heavens to Betsy.  At the rate I am going, this rug is going to take forever.  This is all I accomplished in almost 4 days of hooking at camp, hooking until 10pm ish the first three days.  I feel like such a slacker.  The pattern size is 20 1/2" x 47" and I'm hooking it in a 8 1/2 cut.

I signed up for Tricia's class because I was told she had a wonderful way with color and I was not disappointed.  I love how it is coming along and it is all color planned.


A bit of progress I have made since coming home.


The center of the padula flower is antique paisley.


This is the pattern I was originally thinking about hooking in class and changed my mind a couple weeks before camp.  When I saw it in person, I knew I want to someday hook it.  I have only bought two rugs kits ever.  One I never hooked and I ended up selling it.  The other was one I bought from someone, not the original seller.  Of course that is not yet hooked :(  This kit did come home with me because I absolutely loved the colors.


I really need to attend PA (patterns anonymous).  I had Betsy bring this pattern to camp for me.  Another design by Payton Primitives, it is just a great scrappy rug.  I have more patterns than I can possibly hook in my lifetime and the wool to go with them . . . lol.  It's a terrible problem to have :)


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

15 comments:

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Wow! I really do live the colours in your camp rug.
I’d love to have Tricia someday too. I’m pretty good about not
buying patterns I won’t immediately hook but I can never have
enough wool

woolwoman said...

WOW - what a great rug Lauren! I have always wanted a class with Tricia. I visited her store in San Antonio a long time ago and it was mind boggling. I was so overwhelmed plus traveling by air on the way to a camp in Fredericksburg so I was only able to buy 1 yard of fabric from her but it has always been treasured and I am finally putting some of it in my patriotic rug by Polly Minick - where the heck is that UFO LOL! I bet you have a lot stashed up but having too much is definitely as my DF would say - "A first world problem to have" LOL enjoy Mel

Mugwump Woolies said...

Fabulous colors on the rug you are working on now! I am a sucker for dark backgrounds and your's has so much movement. Love the horsey pattern...looks like a fun one.
Robyn

NMK said...

Your rug is going to be beautiful , such a pretty pattern & love your colors !!!

acorn hollow said...

wow love the rug you did at camp!!! I have that issue too that is why I am trying to go at least 6 months with out buying supplies. It is very hard!!
you have some work ahead but all you have ahead of you is time right?
Cathy

The Eveningstitcher said...

Beautiful rugs, Lauren. I'm really drawn to the one you are hooking . The colors are just gorgeous!!

Prims By The Water said...

Oh how I love the muted colors of the rug you are hooking. Cannot wait to see it finished. Hurry up will ya. LOL I have no time to hook or do much of anything currently. Janice

WoolenSails said...

Your rug is coming out beautifully. I cannot get much done when I am with a group, we talk too much, lol.
Love the new one too, scrappy rugs are fun to do and you don't have to worry about having the right colors.

Debbie

Jacqueline said...

Your rug is gorgeous. Is the dark wool in the pot all one piece of wool or different pieces? It gives great movement. I enjoy sharing your travels!

Saundra said...

I love the colors of your camp rug and think you accomplished quite a lot in 4 days. What you did after coming home really makes those colors POP. Love it! Will also look forward to you hooking Gypsy ~ what a great design.

Farm Girl said...

Oh gosh I love that rug you are working on. I love that center. I am so glad you had such a nice time. How nice to have all of those rugs to choose from in your stash. Have a nice week.

kelley said...

great rugs ...you're not alone in having too many patterns to hook in a lifetime..this is my year to resist buying more...three months and 19 days down...

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your RIP (“rug in progress”) is drop-dead GORGEOUS!!! I absolutely adore that dark background!!! I’m curious if you are mixing different wools to achieve that effect or if it is jus the dying or pattern of one wool?? In any event, it is beautiful... And something tells me it won’t be “forever” for you to finish. Looks like you are making great progress. I have a few hooking patterns (and I think a kit or two now that you mention kits) stashed....but by far, I have more stitching patterns hoarded.... I should be good for several lifetimes LOL. Happy Hump Night. (Hmmm....don’t take that the wrong way. ;-) ). ~Robin~

Julia said...

Lauren the rug you're working on is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colors very much and that flower hooked ion the dark background is so eye catching.
I'm glad that you had a great time at the hook-in.
Take care.
Hugs, Julia

moosecraft said...

I love how your Antique Floral is looking! Great colors ...and your hooking is perfection!