Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Hooking Start ~


Saturday we attended an Irish wake.  In March a woman in her early 60's lost her battle to cancer and her wish was for her husband to have an Irish wake.  We had never been to one and are so happy to have been invited to attend.  Bagpipers, Irish dancers, lots of food and spirits.  A true celebration of life, but I almost broke down when the bagpipers played Amazing Grace.  That song always tugs at my heart.


Sunday we headed to Michigan for a graduation party.  On the drive, I got to work on Maple Sugar Hearts.  Once again I am hooking with an 8 cut since the hearts are only 2 1/2" tall.  Hopefully the rest of the rug will be hooked with an 8 1/2 and 9 cut.  Progress so far.  It was hard to get a decent picture.  There will be at least several rows of border that are not drawn in.  I'm still deciding.
 
 
Early Thursday, DSO, grandson Jake and I will be heading to Oshkosh, WI, for the EEA AirVenture.  DSO attends most years, but this will be a first for both me and Jake.  It is a weeklong aviation event with thousands of airplanes, daily airshows, vendors, exhibits and more.  Hopefully on the 8 hour drive each way I will get lots of hooking done.  Saturday we make a quick stop in Chicago to visit with my niece and family.  Jake always looks forward to spending time with his cousins.  I'll check in when I get home :)

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

10 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Have fun!your rug looks wonderful.
I have been to an Irish wake they are such a celebration of life.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Have a fun and safe trip. As always love the muted colors in your latest rug. I know you dont want to think about Autumn yet, but I have to get started for the Holly show. I have been to an Irish wake before for my late boss and Amazing Grace always makes me cry. Janice

Saundra said...

OMG, I'd have been sobbing as soon as I heard bagpipes play anything, but especially Amazing Grace. You'd never have had so much fun when you were working.

Julia said...

Your rug is coming along nicely. I know I'm different because I love hooking with the narrow cuts but I don't hold it against you. lol... Your work always looks so professional.

An Irish wake... Did they had the coffin standing up? I love the bagpipes. My neighbor's son always practiced his bagpipes outside and I just loved listening to him. Then one day the bagpipes stopped. he was killed in an accident, him and his girlfriend. So sad, but I still love listening to the bagpipes.

You are getting a lot of traveling done lately. It must be nice to be retired. Sigh!!!
Have a great rest of the week.
hugs, julia

WoolenSails said...

I have never been to an irish wake, but I love the idea of celebrating someone's life.
Sounds like a fun weekend for you and Jake.

Debbie

Farm Girl said...

Have a lovely trip. I have never been to an Irish wake either. Amazing Grace always gets me too.
I do hope you get lots of hooking done.
Have a lovely rest of the week.

woolwoman said...

have fun on your trip - Wis. has always been on my wish list to visit. Cheers Mel

Jacqueline said...

Have a safe trip and great time.

marly said...

Bagpipes and Irish music makes me soggy faced. Titanic's theme runs the mascara, even Riverdance!! Safe travels.

Earlene said...

Amazing Grace makes me cry too! Did you get to visit anyone else in Michigan?
oxox