Monday, July 30, 2018

Oshkosh by Gosh ~

 
I'm back from our whirlwind trip to Oshkosh, WI, to the EAA AirVenture.  Over 1,000 miles in just under 3 days.  Oshkosh is quite the adventure.  We had a great time enjoying all the aircraft, displays and air shows.  Grandson Jake was in awe.  He was most impressed with the C-5 Galaxy aircraft.

 
No matter how many times it is explained to me, I still don't think anything this large should be able to fly!
 
 
Here's Jake standing next to it.

 
The highlight for both Fritz and me was meeting Connie Palacioz, a genuine Rosie the Riveter.  At 93 years young, she was just delightful.  At the age of 17, Palacioz worked at the Boeing plant in Wichita as a riveter, building the 41 section (nose) on the B-29 Superfortress manufacturing line. Connie’s work on the B-29 line included installing the rivets on B-29 Doc when it was built in Wichita in 1944. Sixty years later, Connie returned to Wichita and helped hundreds of volunteers restore B-29 Doc and return the warbird to flight.  She proudly said that Doc sat in the desert for 40 years and when it was recovered was missing only 7 rivets.
 
 

After Oshkosh we made a quick stop in Chicago for a visit with my niece and family.  Jake always is happy to spend time with his cousins.
 
 
We had to cut our Chicago visit short because my Las Vegas son flew home Saturday morning (and was leaving Sunday evening) for the funeral of a long time friend.  Here he is with Jake who is now slightly taller than him.


Both my bad boys.

 
I did get lots of hooking done on the trip.  I almost finished Maple Sugar Hearts.  I was two worms short.  Really?
 
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

14 comments:

WoolenSails said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time with Jake, they do grow up fast.

Debbie

The Eveningstitcher said...

Looksk like a wonderful trip! I can hardly believe that anything can fly...except birds...LOL! I think I'll stay planted on the ground for travel!

Catsngrams said...

Wow what a fun trip. I also wonderhow they get those planes off the ground. Great pictures glad you made it home ok.

Saundra said...

I can feel the happiness of your heart in your post. I have wanted to hook the Rosie the Riveter poster for years now; probably more so after being divorced. Looking forward to your finish and your new start of something.

Farm Girl said...

That is a huge aircraft. I would love to see that. How nice your boys are home. I am so glad Jake had a good time. You have such nice looking men in your life.
I am so glad you got to hook. I am so glad you had a nice time.

acorn hollow said...

I love Rosie she still looks like she is a spit fire! what a wonderful trip for you and jake.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

That plane is HUGE!!! I agree with you..how can that get off the ground? Your sons are handsome! Cannot wait to see your latest hook. What do you do when you are one worm short? Janice

Three Sheep Studio said...

What a trip !!
Nothing better then having family around you !!
Loved the pic of Rosie the Riveter and her story.
Rose

Julia said...

What a great post. I'm with you on wondering how such a huge plan can fly. Rosie is quite the woman. Your grandson is growing very tall like my grandsons. They need longer beds to sleep comfortably.
Your trip sounds like great fun.
Have a great day. Hugs, Julia

Raymond Homestead said...

It is weird how something so heavy and big can fly, just like how something big and heavy can float! Sounds like a good time!

marly said...

That woman is 93? And that monstrosity can fly? Neither seem reasonable!!

Margaret said...

Looks like a fun trip and so nice to have your family around. Two short? So you can't finish your rug? It's so pretty!

Heather said...

What a fun trip! But oh! To be TWO worms short on your wool, arg! Hope you get to finish it up soon so we can see it :)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
What a great trip and what a HUGE PLANE!!!! How wonderful for you to meet Connie and to hear her stories!! Can't believe she is 93!!!!! Amazing!!!! So happy you can spend time with your family and Jake sure is growing up!!! Looks like he may pass his dad soon!!
Hard to believe you were two worms short!!! What are the chances of that????? Looking forward to seeing it when you locate those worms!!!!
Take care and have a great weekend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie