Monday, March 11, 2019

In the Dye Pots ~



Last week I decided to play in the dye pots.  I dyed 6 different colors.  My stove will only accommodate 2 pots at a time, so it took a good part of the day.

The results.  I sure wish I could capture the true colors.  They are much more subdued and the top center wool is not pinky at all.


I started with these wools . . .


. . . and here is what came out of the dye pots.
The gold is from the Barbara Carroll/Emma Lou Lais book, #40C, Kansas City Bronze.
The red came out okay, but I totally messed up mixing the dye.  It was to be Rusty Red from the Nancy Raybould dye book.  I was supposed to mix the two dry dyes in separate jars and add different quantities of each.  Instead I mixed the dry dyes in one jar.  OOPS.
The blue is a wonderful blue ~ nothing like showing in the picture.  #62 Denim Blue from the BC/ELL book.


And then there were these wools.


 The results.
#26 Bronze Green from the BC/ELL book.  Much darker in person.
Fraktur Black from the Cathy Meyer dye book.  I LOVE how this came out.
And finally, my favorite dye color ~ Emma Lou's Old Putty, #85,  from the BC/ELL book. 


I hear Cindy is doing well, other than a little "falling out" with puggle sister Molly.  Sounds like a little sibling rivalry.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren  

13 comments:

acorn hollow said...

wonderful colors!
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

How cool! Iam not ready for dyes yet, but loe your colors..even the red one. Janice

Julia said...

I love those earthy colors. My problem is that I don't always follow a recipe and just wing it. Cindy Lou will adjust after a few days, I'm sure. You probably spoiled her a little. She is so darn cute.
Hugs, Julia

kelley said...

How wonderful for Cindy to have a,forever home and a sister..thank you for fostering! the wools look nice, I know all about not getting the right color in photos..

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful colors and they will be beautiful in a rug. Hopefully the pups will get a long better after they adjust.

Debbie

TheCrankyCrow said...

I LOVE the colors that came out of your pots.... Please don’t tempt me...cuz I hear it’s a full out addiction once you start. Ok, who am I kidding? I would have to have wool to dye....and a hooking project to use that wool for....and well, you know.... But seeing what you can come up with teases my head a bit. Ahhhh, poor CLW....adjustments can be a bit tense... Hope her and her new sis work things out soon....we are still working on things in that department.... Seems like one little whippersnapper things he’s king of the roost..... He even can intimidate Snowdog at times LOL. Hope your week is off to a good start.... Robin

Jacqueline said...

Your wools look great. The green and black are my favorites, but all would work with my color choices. Love when you share your projects with us.
I bet you are missing little Cindy.

Margaret said...

So fun to see the results of your dyeing! Very beautiful!

Saundra said...

Great dye results. Don't think I need to dye anything. But marbleizing some of my old flat colors might be a good idea. At least they would be more useable.

HomeSpunPrims said...

Your wool turned out great! So glad Cindy is doing well in her furever home. Lori

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad Cindy Lou is adapting. I love your colors. Don't you think that in dyeing wool even mistakes are wonderful? I just love dyeing wool and now that you did a post that was on my list of things to do today. I ended up making muffins and doing counted cross stitch. ;) Which is so nice to do sometimes. I should be weeding though, but the wind kept me inside.
Have a lovely day, does this mean you have a new project in the works?

moosecraft said...

Beautiful woollies! Time to hook a garden of flowers...and Easter eggs...and perhaps a chick or two or a chocolate bunny? Did someone say Peeps? lol! I'm so ready for Spring!!!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Love the after dye results! I am sure going to miss the photos of CLW.